Talk

Advanced search

really stuck on a gift for niece and nephews - come and help / inspire please?

(44 Posts)
sweetheart Tue 30-Nov-10 11:28:18

The only people I have left to buy for are my niece and 2 nephews. We have been told there is nothing they want or need and I'm really struggling for gift inspiration. PLEASE can you helP?
dn is 13
dn1 is 10 & dn2 is 5
budget for each of them is £25-£30.

taffetazatyousantaclaus Tue 30-Nov-10 11:30:04

Monopoly Revolution for the 10 yo
iTunes voucher for the 13 yo
Speed Stacks for the 5 yo

iloveblue Tue 30-Nov-10 12:30:20

What kind of things are they into?

iloveblue Tue 30-Nov-10 12:46:31

If they like art/crafty things try

this site

You can search by age and they have some lovely things.
You could maybe make them a little pack up each with a craft set/book, art pad, nice pens/pencils etc.

Ragwort Tue 30-Nov-10 12:49:52

Vouchers
Vouchers
Vouchers

If you have been told 'there is nothing they want or need' - I am pretty sure that that is a polite way of say 'vouchers' or 'cash' please.

I am given so much tat for my DS, I really, really wish his aunts and uncles would stick to cash or vouchers (or nothing - saves me the trip to the charity shop).

Sorry to sound ungrateful - but I am being honest grin.

maktaitai Tue 30-Nov-10 12:51:10

Books. Book tokens if you are nice.

sweetheart Tue 30-Nov-10 14:18:06

ok thanks - any more ideas? None of these are really suitable.

iloveblue - none of them are into anything particular.

maktaitai Tue 30-Nov-10 14:28:43

seriously, books not suitable?

OK IMO take them all to a local pantomime and sit in the stalls so they get sweets etc, that's exactly the right price

Takver Tue 30-Nov-10 14:50:37

If you can do it, I think the pantomime or some kind of show would be fab, I know my dd and her friends would absolutely love that. Thinking of all the children aged 5 - 13 I know, I think they would all enjoy a pantomime and the trimmings. (Unless a particularly grown up & teenagerish 13 y/o, perhaps?)

Otherwise - 13 y/o: I asked for suggestions for just 14 y/o nephew, and the MN consensus seemed to be a Superdry t-shirt, have since canvassed various young teenagers and they seem to agree. (Thread is here with all the suggestions.)

10 y/o - maybe some kind of electronics kit, if they are into such things?

5 y/o - Really nice dumper truck/tractor/lorry type toy ?All the 5 y/os I know seem to love big chunky toy tractors. (Or indeed for £25-£30 you could probably get one with trailer/muckspreader or whatever on the back.) Their parents probably won't thank you for it (clutter), but your dn will!

sweetheart Tue 30-Nov-10 15:15:45

mak - sorry no to the books! It's Christmas - they can read the rest of the year but Christmas is for fun and frivolousness.

Mil is already taking them to a pantomime. Will have a look at the superdry thread though - thanks.

sweetheart i might have to do a friendly TutTut, shock and howverydareyou! about that "mak - sorry no to the books! It's Christmas - they can read the rest of the year but Christmas is for fun and frivolousness." comment!

shock

books are the best (see, BEST ) present EVER ! ever

Takver Tue 30-Nov-10 15:51:24

Maybe it depends on the child, I guess sweetheart knows her Dn/s better than us.

(And that's speaking as someone who never wanted anything but books for presents, ever, and was always disappointed when people insisted on giving me a 'better' present.)

KnottyLocks Tue 30-Nov-10 15:52:39

Can you tell what Nickel does for a living?

Dexterrocks Tue 30-Nov-10 15:59:50

Would a joint cinema voucher and restaurant voucher be appropriate? eg round here we have a Cineworld right next to a Frankie and Bennies, TGI Fridays and Pizza Hut. Not everyone's cup of tea I know but it might span the age gaps.

Knotty!!!!!! haven't seen you for ages!!!!!!!!!!! <<<screeeeeeeeech>>>

i don't know what you mean! shock

(and Takver agrees with me - that's exactly my point!)

i was given a National Book Token by ex's brother (when he wasn't ex) a few years ago - it was the first book token i'd ever been given - he said he wasn't sure whether it was a good present because i'd probably got all the books i wanted.
but it was the best present.
i was totally made up. grin

cheeseytoastie Tue 30-Nov-10 16:02:34

nanobugs for the 5 year old, my almost 5 year old loves them www.iwantoneofthose.com/30002960.html

look at these

you can't say they're boring!

KnottyLocks Tue 30-Nov-10 16:07:15

Books are the only thing that keep her quiet grin

Knotty, are you my mum ??? shock

KnottyLocks Tue 30-Nov-10 16:08:33

Shameless advertising, woman shock

Obviously, they only keep her quiet when she's reading them.

KnottyLocks Tue 30-Nov-10 16:09:10

I'm too short to be your mother.

nannynobblystockingnobs Tue 30-Nov-10 16:09:19

For the niece I'd do a sweep of Claire's Accessories or give her a voucher for same. Their ranges start at kiddie fluff and go all the way through emo stripes into pretty adult jewellery.
No ideas for boys sorry! I am rubbish.

silverfrog Tue 30-Nov-10 16:09:23

right, so OP, your dns:

don't do crafts at all. or seemingly play with anything (that craft site brought up loads of lovely toys)

don't listen to music at all

don't read

have no hobbies or interests.

really? there are children like this out there?

come on, help us out a bit. they ust enjoy doing somehting. if panto is out, how about a theatre trip for later in the year?

what about their favourite dvd - are there any collectors editions, or boxsets etc?

what about a family boardgame?

£30 each is quite a budget - it cannot be impossible to find them somehting

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now