Talk

Advanced search

Why are those advent calenders with just a picture in so expensive?

(11 Posts)
MsSparkle Mon 29-Nov-10 19:47:05

Was going to get one this year for dc but then saw they were 5/6/7 pounds in a number of shops. Why? Surely they are cheaper to make then the chocolate ones?

I choose i fill yourself wooden one in the end. At least i can keep that year after year. Was annoyed with step mil and fil for buying them a chocolate one without asking me first as well.

Fluteyboots Mon 29-Nov-10 20:15:23

I got a really nice one from church for £3. Also I reckon I can close the doors again and use it next year. Don't see the point of chocolate ones, you know there is a choc behind every door so where's the surprise?

LilyBolero Mon 29-Nov-10 20:16:21

I got a lovely one today for £3.

larus Tue 30-Nov-10 11:26:55

Am with you here. My mum used to reuse calenders each year and have last years still but no matter what I do the doors won't stay shut! Even thought about a bit of pritt stick type glue to hold them closed.

Relented in the end and bought new ones - took ages to get a non chocolate one with a not too cringable picture. Most seem to have massive piles of presents or overly sentimental nativity scenes. We aren't religious people but I do want my kids to know what Christmas is traditionally about.

And yes, the ones I bought were horrifically expensive (over £5 each. EACH!!). Just seen chocolate ones for under £2.

psychomum5 Tue 30-Nov-10 11:33:21

they are hell to find too.

I been trying for weeks now, and not found one that is affordable (well, as I have 5 children, obviously I would need 5). I am fed up with the chocolate ones, they are not even xmasy either, all character ones, <grumble>

I wanted traditional this year, but not at that price!

scrappydappydoo Tue 30-Nov-10 11:40:40

Have you got a christian bookshop near you?
My local one has them from £2...

pointydog Tue 30-Nov-10 11:42:07

I bought one in clinton cards for £2.99. The one I ordered from amazon was £4.50 I think.

As most people but choc ones, I expect the high volumes of them keep the price low. Basic demand, quantities, cost and price stuff.

gillybean2 Tue 30-Nov-10 11:47:33

With 5 children surely they simple take turns to open a door...?

Christian bookshops will have these, not sure how affordable though, depends what you get.

If there's not a shop near you you can get online here
www.christianbookshops.org/search.php?keyword=adve nt+calendar&searchcat=all

I would guess they're more expensive because there is less demand for them.

pointydog Tue 30-Nov-10 11:52:57

I wouldn't buy children one each either

Icantbelieveitsnotbitter Tue 30-Nov-10 11:55:20

We have a large wooden one - cost £40 shock !

But this is it's 7th year of use so it gets more economical every year.

I did also buy this year 2 greetings cards that were mini advent calenders too - Phoenix Trading were at a Cancer Coffee morning. These were perfect for the step-kids to have at their mums so they don't feel too left out !

psychomum5 Tue 30-Nov-10 14:55:21

well, maybe thats true, them not needing one each that is.

they do obviously with the chocolaty ones, they would never have shared them, but no, proper ones are indeed ok to take turns with.

<rethinks buying one>

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: