Talk

Advanced search

board games that aren't boring?

(19 Posts)
yogabird Mon 29-Nov-10 14:20:41

what is really good and family fun and will keep dd's age 9 & 6 occupied? Can only go back to the monotony of monopoly that my brother and I played in the 70's and not sure i want to do that to them - any ideas?

Go Mon 29-Nov-10 16:40:08

Not strictly a board game, but we have Uno Flash which is very lively and seems to appeal to all ages. link here

nickeldonkeyonadustyroad Mon 29-Nov-10 17:03:38

aw, i love boardgames!

you can get a family Trivial pursuit, you could have teams (one adult one child per team...)

cluedo?

hungry hippos? i love that!

nickeldonkeyonadustyroad Mon 29-Nov-10 17:04:01

and ker-plunk, too.

Dexterrocks Mon 29-Nov-10 17:05:29

The favourite one in our house is Tummyache. It is simple, quick and all age groups can play. It doesn't last long though.

nickeldonkeyonadustyroad Mon 29-Nov-10 17:07:14

not quite a board game, and you might have to have teams again cos it's 8-upwards, is LeCardo - it's a card game like scrabble with compound words and phrases instead of letters.

there are some pictures of it here

nickeldonkeyonadustyroad Mon 29-Nov-10 17:08:16

or Guess who? there's a new one called Guess Who extra, which has electronic elements to it.
looks fun grin

Wigeon Mon 29-Nov-10 17:08:35

I love pictionary - you can get Junior Pictionary too.

goodmanners Mon 29-Nov-10 17:10:27

We have the guess who extra its good, also the toy story version of ker plunk is good for my 4 yr old to play. I am fancying mousetrap but it doesnt look like you play it how i did way back when......

nickeldonkeyonadustyroad Mon 29-Nov-10 17:10:58

oh my lord!

i've just found connect 4x4 - three dinemsional connect4 for 4 players instead of 2! it looks mad!
i want one!
here

MilaMae Mon 29-Nov-10 17:31:06

Hiss is about the only one I manage to keep fully engaged for.

We also have the Eeeboo candy matching game.I quite like that,lovely pics.

yogabird Mon 29-Nov-10 19:44:58

oooh thanks that'll get me started. Yahtzee is a game I've just thought of myself, used to love it but having read on Amazon what its about am wondering why - is it as dull as it sounds? Anyone play it now?

heymango Mon 29-Nov-10 19:53:04

My boys love Cadoo - lots of different activities involved - a bit of pictionary, a bit of playdoh modelling and a bit of charades.

conkertree Mon 29-Nov-10 19:53:15

Dh and I used to play yahtzee on holiday along with backgammon.

Love Risk but haven't got one currently so can't remember what age it's for.

MissMashMissMash Mon 29-Nov-10 20:25:15

Cranium is great. Used to love cluedo. The game of life is great for kids. Not boardgames but uno and top trumps are good. Personally I love monopoly but think you need to put a timelimit on it and the person the most money/property when times up wins. Rather than playing untill everyone is bankrupt.

yogabird Tue 30-Nov-10 16:10:21

Used to have the game of life and LOVED it - off to google!

aristocat Tue 30-Nov-10 16:13:28

we like Dont Wake Dad smile and DS loves Ludo .....

janinlondon Tue 30-Nov-10 16:23:18

Blockus. Great for kids with that sort of age difference. And they'll probably beat you at it too!

yogabird Tue 30-Nov-10 16:23:52

and what else might my dd's want that's not as expensive as what they have on their Xmas lists? Any suggestions for things under about £20-30, please.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: