Talk

Advanced search

Is there a nice way to acknowledge I'm pregnant when writing my Christmas cards?

(17 Posts)
BellaBearisWideAwake Mon 29-Nov-10 10:13:19

I'm not sure I want to write 'love BelleBear, DH, DS and bump' (partly because I think it sounds a bit twee and partly as I am superstitious about mentioning it too much) but for some people I don't see and for distant family it would be nice to include an indication.

Is there a non-twee way of doing it? Or shall I leave it? Really not sure.

I'm due in April.

Sarsaparilllla Mon 29-Nov-10 10:14:39

I would just write a little update letter inside the cards for the people you'd like to let know.

maktaitai Mon 29-Nov-10 10:15:05

Can you write 'Looking forward to the birth of our second child in April. Best wishes' or similar on the left-hand side of each card?

It's a pain but tbh I think the only reason to send cards is to give a little update on your lives, and this is pretty big news smile - congratulations!

Poledra Mon 29-Nov-10 10:16:02

Wrtie them a little note, maybe wishing them a good 2011, and then say that you're going to have a wonderful, busy year as you're going to have another baby?

BellaBearisWideAwake Mon 29-Nov-10 10:16:53

yes, I think that's the way to do it.

Thanks!

sumum Mon 29-Nov-10 10:17:38

I think 'and bump' sounds fine, I would go with it and not think it twee.
Congratulations, how far along are you.?

MackerelOfFact Mon 29-Nov-10 10:18:33

I intensely dislike receiving any form of communication from fetuses.grin Just add a line saying you are looking forward you your last Christmas as a family of 3 before the latest addition arrives in April, or something like that.

cherrybea Mon 29-Nov-10 10:18:51

If your surname was Smith, what about 'love Bellebearm, dh, ds and baby Smith' or is that twee too?

Not sure as I wrote bump in my cards last year, didn't realise.

MrsDinky Mon 29-Nov-10 10:18:57

I agree, little message on the LHS is the way to go, I also find +bump a bit twee (more so when I already know they are expecting). It is also a bit vague, nice to know when it is due.

BellaBearisWideAwake Mon 29-Nov-10 10:21:19

thanks for the congratulations - am 22 weeks. Also just thought that I don't want to upset anyone if they have had mc or problems ttc or anything. have been there myself, but I suppose you can't hide from birth announcements completely can you.

taffetacat Mon 29-Nov-10 11:27:40

yes I agree a little postscript on the left hand side. I've had a few cards the last few years from friends who I don't see very often with this info conveyed the same way, and its soooooooo lovely.

Congratulations!

Rachyandmeg Mon 29-Nov-10 18:00:59

I would say love from little bump, baby bump, bump or like someone else pointed put baby smith. I think all these are acceptable and i dont see them as twee at all. I dont think you could say anything else so maybe just leave the baby off.

toddleco Tue 30-Nov-10 06:23:42

When I was pregnant I wasn't sure wether to add + bump or not- someone suggested to me to add a note so I did, but lots of people put in their cards to us 'Dear....& bump' so think its ok to do either smile

thumbwitch Tue 30-Nov-10 06:28:20

"Bump" is infinitely less grating than say "jellybean" or "monkeynut" or any of the other nicknames that people bestow on their unborn.

Just do what you feel comfortable with - you are not in control of the recipients' feelings about it.

ChippingIn Tue 30-Nov-10 06:28:50

Well - I like & bump grin

and if you don't want a 100 phone calls - you could write 'Due April 2011, speak to you in the New Year! x'

StealthPolarBear Tue 30-Nov-10 06:38:13

if you put "baby Smith" people will think you have had the baby

BellaBearisWideAwake Tue 30-Nov-10 08:24:33

thanks for all the opinions - have started writing a little note to those I want to (sounds organised but quite a few abroad so need to get a move on). Lots of people I see often obviously already know. It's really for those obscure relatives of DH I haven't seen since our wedding, iykwim

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: