Talk

Advanced search

Would you buy this expensive toy?

(18 Posts)
pongonperdy Mon 29-Nov-10 08:03:36

My DD is five in 2 weeks so we have birthday and Christmas to shop for. For this reason I usually start early. I have kept asking her what she may like but she hasn't asked for anything up until yesterday.

She now says she would like toffee the pony for Christmas. The problem is that I am largely done with the shopping. Only stocking fillers to get. This toy costs upwards of £50. Do I get it as its the only thing she has asked for?

overmydeadbody Mon 29-Nov-10 08:07:35

No.

If you have already bought her presents don't get her something else costing that much!

At 5, she will like whatever you get her.

TitianTinselTemptress Mon 29-Nov-10 08:07:52

Can you return anything else you've bought her?

TitianTinselTemptress Mon 29-Nov-10 08:08:53

Can you return anything else you've bought her? Sorry if that's a stupid/obvious question

pongonperdy Mon 29-Nov-10 08:13:31

I feel bad though as she is so good. Never asks for anything and is always happy with what we get her.

Don't think I can take anything back as got most things a while ago, on eBay etc.

Indith Mon 29-Nov-10 08:24:32

Any grandparents still not done with shopping? I doubt she'll mind though, she'll be too excited opening other presents. Ds has just done the same to us, I'm all done shopping for Christmas and birthdays (his birthday just after christmas) and he told me he wants a Buzz and a pretend birthday cake with candles grin. Oh well!

TitianTinselTemptress Mon 29-Nov-10 08:28:12

When is her birthday? If you can afford to buy Toffee, could you put another Xmas present aside for that so that you're not giving her too much at Xmas?

belgo Mon 29-Nov-10 08:30:50

No I wouldn't. My dd2 is also five and she is not gettiing anything that she has asked for, because she mainly asks for dolls and prams, and she doesn't need anymore.

I'm not worried about her being disappointed because I know she will love what Saint Nicholas will bring her - here. What is it about little girls and ponies?

pongonperdy Mon 29-Nov-10 09:16:56

Her birthday is on the 8th dec. I may see if any relatives still need ideas. Wouldn't expect them to by this toy but they may be happy to give some of the less expensive things I already have.

Annoying really. I should have left room for manoeuvre.

TheFoosa Mon 29-Nov-10 09:19:44

if your family haven't bought anything for christmas, would they all chip in for the pony?

TitianTinselTemptress Mon 29-Nov-10 10:55:07

Oh sorry, didn't pick that up from your first post.

taffetacat Mon 29-Nov-10 11:00:02

yy to ask family if they can all chip in. If they don't know each other that well eg diff sides of family could ask for money/voucher for where they sell the pony so can club together that way.

fairydust Mon 29-Nov-10 11:13:28

If you can afford it i see no reason as to not get it obviosuly if you can't then i'd wait and see if see gets any money for her birthday to put towards it.

KateEllis Mon 29-Nov-10 11:16:39

Hi, not sure if this helps but my daughter also 5 has asked for toffee the pony but I am getting her this instead

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Love-Ponies-Honey-Baby-Pon y/dp/B001C9SVEU/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1291029086& sr=8-2

it is 29.99 on Amazon so much more reasonable than toffee also I think this pony is much prettier!

pongonperdy Mon 29-Nov-10 13:17:37

Thanks Kate that sounds a much better option. Happy paying that amount but don't want to stretch to toffee prices.

Is it any good though. Have seen threads where people warn about getting cheaper imitations.

TitianTinselTemptress Mon 29-Nov-10 13:46:39

Ooh yes well done Kate that pony is much nicer . Pongo there are reviews on amazon if you scroll down the page, it gets 4 out of 5 based on 17 reviews and the negatives I read were because the DC got bored of it, not a quality issue. Go for it!

mummytime Mon 29-Nov-10 13:58:20

My DD got this last Christmas and it still works. I wouldn't pay more. And it looks more like a pony than toffee!

pongonperdy Mon 29-Nov-10 14:43:38

Toffee looks more like a donkey. Not a proper pony like honey. grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now