Talk

Advanced search

Christmas wouldn't be Christmas without...

(41 Posts)
MissMashMissMash Sat 27-Nov-10 21:59:02

What are everyones favourite silly little Christmas traditions that Christmas wouldn't be Christmas without for you?

I think mine would be

Listening to carols from kings whilst putting up Christmas tree

Carols by candlenight

Watching Love actually roughly four weeks before Christmas

Wearing new socks from stocking on Christmas day

Blue Peter carols around Christmas tree ( actually not seen this for a couple of years, do they still do this?)

sillytart Sat 27-Nov-10 22:21:07

Wrapping presents whilst watching a Christmas film and drinking mulled wine

Decorating the Christmas tree whilst listening to Christmas songs (cheesy ones)

Eating a whole tin of chocolates (not just me the whole family wink) before Christmas Eve grin

Watching Santa Claus the Movie blush

Making Mince Pies, sausage rolls & biscuits on Christmas Eve

ChateauRouge Sat 27-Nov-10 22:21:34

Jesus, obviously.

Leslaki Sat 27-Nov-10 22:22:09

PJs and a new Xmas DVD on Xmas Eve after T bone steaks and los of wine for dinner

Doing all my wrapping in front of the tree and fire with Miracle on 34th St on

MY lovely DCs faces when they see that Santa has visited

Taking my Dcs to the £1 shop to do their entire Xmas shoping in 3 minutes!

School nativity

slumping on the couch half asleep on Xmas day evening with my DC and watching rubbish on the TV!

Xmas shopping - I love it!!!

MissMashMissMash Sat 27-Nov-10 22:38:05

Also

Satsumas, love them and the smell of them makes me feel very Christmassy

strandedatseasonsgreetings Sat 27-Nov-10 22:46:00

watching santa's progress on that website, can't remember what it's called,on Christmas Eve.

Calling dh a Grinch.

Putting out carrots and cookies for santa and his reindeer.

celebmum Sat 27-Nov-10 22:49:19

Eating satsuma's infront of the Christmas tree...

and snow! grin

hogshead Sat 27-Nov-10 22:55:20

DH saying `is it REALLY only 7 days before Christmas?? I need to buy presents!!'

Watching Miracle on 34th Street and Muppets Christmas Carol the week before

Mulled wine - in copious amounts - all Dec and Jan long

carols on the village green around the christmas tree on christmas eve - used to be followed by several pints in the pub but since DS arrived this has ceased

MissMashMissMash Sat 27-Nov-10 22:55:33

Cadbury's Santa's festive friends biscuits.

teenyweenytadpole Sat 27-Nov-10 22:55:45

Buying the Radio and TV times (I only buy them once a year) and marking what I want to watch with a pen!

Staying up late on Christmas Eve to wrap pressies (I always leave this to the last minute)

Crappy Christmas music on the ipod

School nativity - I always cry, especially at the angels

Trying to book a Tescos delivery slot!

said Sat 27-Nov-10 22:55:55

A row

MissMashMissMash Sat 27-Nov-10 23:01:09

Hogshead- Carols on the village green sounds lush

teeny- I forgot about the radio times, only buy it once a year too

BelligerentGhoul Sat 27-Nov-10 23:02:52

Baileys;

Pinching all of the green triangles from the Quality Street before anybody else can get to them;

Carols on the green with the vicar singing out of tune;

Creeping around at night on Christmas Eve after the girls have gone to bed and then going downstairs to 'see if he's been' even though they are teenagers now;

Listening to Fairytale Of New York and Last Christmas whilst peeling the sprouts;

Watching Elf!

hogshead Sat 27-Nov-10 23:06:18

MissMash it could be something out of a film - the whole village comes out (last year it was still quite snowy too) with lanterns - the Sally Army play too and the pub serves christmas ales and free mince pies.

One of the reasons we moved here grin

Littlepurpleprincess Sun 28-Nov-10 11:45:02

We have a christmas carnival in our town, usually at the end of november. That's when I start to feel all christmassy.

The Muppets Christmas Carol.

Dr Who!

Big tins of Roses or Quailty Street.

Baileys.

The Coke advert.

MissMashMissMash Sun 28-Nov-10 12:09:25

Ooo yes forgot about the coke advert

izzybiz Sun 28-Nov-10 13:50:46

Having a kitchen full of goodies that I won't allow anyone to touch untill Christmas eve!
Christmas Eve has to be my most favourite day of the year!
I do any last minute shopping, Dd will decorate biscuits to hand out to her cousins the next day, we'll watch Santas progress on the computer. Dh will be in the kitchen preparing things for the Christmas dinner, bath and pj's for the Dc, christmassy film (usually Santa Clause the movie!) then Dc will leave out drink and snack for Santa and go to bed.

Dh and I will then have a nice takeaway and drinks, watch a film (national Lampoons is a fave!) and do any last minute wrapping, make muddy boot prints on the floor, Dh will bite the mince pie and carrot too! grin
Am all excited now!

tummytickler Sun 28-Nov-10 14:01:47

O Holy Night - very loudly, played a lot! It is now dd's favourite Christmas song too!

Crib service at local church

Late night shopping in our town, looking at all the lights.

Baking mince pies even though we don't like them, because they smell so Christmassy!

Putting the tree up

Home Alone, Muppet Christmas Carol adn National Lampoons Christmas Vacation.

Dc's being sooooo excited.

Eating lots of naughty things we would not usually have (too many sweets and desserts!)

cupcake001 Sun 28-Nov-10 16:46:30

Wrapping presents and putting them under the tree.

Watching nightmare before xmas

Spending xmas eve drinking with friends

Watching the coke advert

Eating scrambled egg and smoked salmon on toast xmas morning

Most of all acting like a kid again!!!!

JetLi Sun 28-Nov-10 20:54:35

The dog getting a squeaky toy from FC.
The toy being confiscated from the dog around teatime as he is driving everyone batty. My Dad proclaiming that if everyone has enjoyed Christmas half as much as the dog then we've done OK. Every year.....

mummyshreddingnora Sun 28-Nov-10 21:10:00

ooooooooh

Seeing all the christmas decorations and lights everywhere...

xmassy films

christmas eve in general!

The german market coming to town

Helping DD live the magic that I remember as a kid

Spending time with family, laughing, arguing, drinking grin

seeing DC's faces christmas morning

taffetacat Sun 28-Nov-10 21:10:46

LOL @ Jet's jolly dog grin

Dressing the tree with DD listening to Xmas jazz
Explaining to DH for the zillionth time on Christmas Eve what I we have bought for everyone so he can nod knwingly at the appropriate time
Laying Santa's trail of Smarties down the stairs
Poking a Stitch toy out of the top of the DC's stockings
Doctor Who
Advent stocking ( next weeeeeeeek!)
Clove studded oranges
Cutting greenery from the garden to bring indoors
The smell of the tree - oh the smell, can't wait!

BeerTricksPotter Sun 28-Nov-10 21:14:53

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

thefirstMrsDeVere Sun 28-Nov-10 21:21:38

Flying out the door on christmas eve day screeching (in my head) 'I havent got them enough!' despite having more toys than Hamleys. Its not the same with Wollies though, thats where I always used to scramble to sad

Spending 3 days preparing a HUGE ham. Soaking it, boiling it, baking it. I have been a veggie since I was 19 btw hmm

Christmas Eve buffet. I search all the shops looking for christmas shaped food. Stuff like chicken nuggets in the shape of christmas trees. Its getting harder and harder to find the stuff thanks to the likes of Jamie Oliver pah! grin. I have had to change things a bit and now include mini food. Tiny little burgers in buns and weeny little cheesecakes. What larks.

Butterflies. Every year since DD died I have collected butterfly decorations and now have loads. I cant pass one by. I bought 6 last week smile. I know they are not tradional christmas but they are OUR traditional christmas.
The Oncology Childrens' christmas party at work and the general childrens' party. I love them and dress up like a fairy (was a very pregnant fairy last year)

LadyInPink Sun 28-Nov-10 21:22:41

Stranded - it's called Norad tracking and it starts December 1st!

Christmas starts once the tree is up - IT'S UP so it's already started for me!

Listening to Xmas tunes on ipod daily and wrapping pressies whilst watching Xmas movies (Home Alone or Miracle on 34th street generally).

My favourite part is when i have done the last BIG family shop and i am on my way home!

Love, love, love Christmas grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now