Talk

Advanced search

Is it possible to buy potted bulbs as a gift, and if so, would it be nice?

(18 Posts)
LoudRowdyDuck Sat 27-Nov-10 19:22:40

I mean the kind of pots of bulbs that you can find in florists at the moment, that are just beginning to shoot. Can you buy them online and get them delivered? I've had a good google and the answer seems to be no, but I live in hope!

It's for my little brother - he and his girlfriend like garden stuff, and he will be all alone on Christmas Day as he's working (poor love), so I want to send him something that will be nice and cheer him up, but won't go to waste because after Christmas day, he'll promptly go up to our parents' for a few days and cut flowers would go to waste.

I also quite want to send some nice food bits, but all the hampers I've seen are too huge for one person or a bit naff.

All ideas gratefully received!

BikeRunSki Sat 27-Nov-10 19:25:38

I would like them, and I am sure you can send them by Interflora. If not Inteflora, find a local florist to him and ask them to deliver on Christmas Eve.

SuePurblybiltByElves Sat 27-Nov-10 19:25:39

[[ http://plants4presents.co.uk/GiftOptions.aspx?gif= 61&sit=7ad=gh2&gclid=CNK8hcLcwaUCFVBO4QodlRDuQQ here]] and sweetie hamper
grin

SuePurblybiltByElves Sat 27-Nov-10 19:26:10

try that again:
[[ http://plants4presents.co.uk/GiftOptions.aspx?gif= 61&sit=7ad=gh2&gclid=CNK8hcLcwaUCFVBO4QodlRDuQQ]]

catinthehat2 Sat 27-Nov-10 19:28:20

I would get

1) amaryllis bulb & pot package so he can plant it - takes 5 mins - and it will flower into the New Year.

or

2) some crocuses or paperwhite narcissus bulbs, slightl;y more complex as they may not be in a pot/compost/bulb package, but you can sort that yourself really.

THey will be a bit behinf the florisrt version , partic in this cold weather, but I don't really enjoy forced blooms.

EauRouge Sat 27-Nov-10 19:28:28

I think so, I got a lovely amaryllis last year from one of my cousins. That said, I just like getting presents and am not that picky about what they are grin

I've never used this site so I can't say if they are good or not but they do deliver.

SuePurblybiltByElves Sat 27-Nov-10 19:28:36

FFS grin

This site www.theplantgiftcompany.co.uk/browse/plants-for-ch ristmas-4972/ has bulbs in a planter but I'm jiggered it I can find them again.

LoudRowdyDuck Sat 27-Nov-10 19:30:58

Bike - I didn't fancy what I found on Interflora's website, sorry. Local florist a v. good idea though, hadn't thought of that. Thanks!

cat - what's wrong with forced flowers then? I've never had them myself, I just liked the look of those pots of green shoots I've seen in the florist's shop. Do they not look nice when they flower?

I don't really want to send him something he has to plant, as he will be tired - he'll have worked all week and I want to send him something that'll immediately make him smile and maybe feel a bit festive, even if he is on his own.

LoudRowdyDuck Sat 27-Nov-10 19:32:01

Thanks Sue, that was an heoric effort! grin

I will go have a browse.

SuePurblybiltByElves Sat 27-Nov-10 19:39:38

I know. And I'm sober grin

LoudRowdyDuck Sat 27-Nov-10 19:44:03

Thanks very much all - have had a good look and I think I will send him the amaryllis you linked to, Rouge. smile

FunkySnowSkeleton Sat 27-Nov-10 19:51:05

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

LoudRowdyDuck Sat 27-Nov-10 19:59:59

Ah, sorry, I can't deliver them to him by hand - he lives in London! Otherwise, that would be a lovely idea Funky.

catinthehat2 Sat 27-Nov-10 22:06:42

Rowdy - some people DO like them, just saying I don't. I prefer plants in their season, tis all. Amaryllis are great, there are more & more impossible looking ones each year. I need to get myself one....

LoudRowdyDuck Sat 27-Nov-10 22:40:51

Thanks cat. I do know what you mean about plants in their season - I certainly didn't fancy getting him lilies in a pot, which I could have done.

But I think there is something nice about green shoots at Christmastime - in my garden there are already shoots of things coming up that won't flower until Spring.

I hope the Amaryllis will be nice though. smile

trumpton Sun 28-Nov-10 07:52:17

Marksies hyacinths delivered in bud Next hyacinths again or this very manly

trumpton Sun 28-Nov-10 07:55:45

4 more I like the red.

SuePurblybiltByElves Sun 28-Nov-10 17:23:53

I had to buy the Daily Fail today (for the Christmas Elvis DVD blush) and they have offers for growing bulbs, jasmine and holly trees much cheaper in their supplement bit. It's in a kind of Daily Fail Betterware catalogue included in the magazine.

Off to namechange in shame

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: