Talk

Advanced search

vegan christmas dinner

(15 Posts)
thisisyesterday Sat 27-Nov-10 18:45:29

what are you having for dinner on christmas day if you are veggie/vegan??

was thinking of doing rose elliots mushroom pate en croute but adding some festive cranberries or something?

would love to hear anyone else's ideas tho!

domesticsluttery Sat 27-Nov-10 18:47:34

I'm not vegetarian but my mum is and she is coming for Christmas dinner. I am making her nut roast as that was what we always had when I was a child. I could make something more exciting, but nut roast is just traditional!

Dexterrocks Sat 27-Nov-10 18:51:41

We are having Lentil Hot Pot - not very traditional but it is everyone's favourite (the veggies and the carnivores) so it keeps everyone happy - and it can be made on Christmas Eve and served with a salad so there is no cooking stress for anyone on Christmas Day (4 young kids in the wider family so we just want to play!)

ANTagony Sat 27-Nov-10 18:54:02

Layered cashew nut roast with sage and onion stuffing and a baked cranberry top.

Tried it out a couple of months ago and it went down really well (particularly amongst the non vegans).

It looks nice sliced on the serving plater with the contrasting layers and red top. It goes really well with all the other (vegan) Christmas trimmings. I did a vegetable gravy made with veg stock, lots of roasted root veg with cloves of garlic and a bit of spicy sauce to give it a kick. I blitzed it all up with some caramalised onions to make it gravy coloured.

thisisyesterday Sat 27-Nov-10 19:54:21

ohh that sounds nice ANTagony!

was toying with the nut roast idea but just can't decide. i did see a nice roasted carrot tart somewhere but i can't remmeber where it was lol

HamsterPoo Sat 27-Nov-10 19:58:08

I am vegan and have recently had to give up wheat...anybody else in the same boat? I am finding it quite a challenge

thisisyesterday Sat 27-Nov-10 21:13:21

oh wow hamster, that must be difficult! i was just hitnking earlier how thankful i was that ds2 can have wheat

we were just vegetarian, but eat mainly vegan now as ds2 can't tolerate egg and dairy. so accidental vegans really lol

Winetimeisfinetime Sat 27-Nov-10 21:24:51

We do the Cranks mushroom wellington - here. It can be made in advance and frozen and I tend to cheat and buy the pastry which makes life easier.
Just substitute the egg glaze with a soya milk one for vegans.
We serve it with all the usual Christmas veggies and it is very nice indeed.

Pudding is usually a vegan chocolate tart.

Silkstalkings Sun 28-Nov-10 08:52:55

How about burritos? Making flavoured tortillas/roti, filling them with garlicky mushrooms/nut meat/marinated tofu, (different fillings to suit each person perhaps) rolling them into parcels, brushed with oil and frying/roasting them til crispy? Serve with a soya milk white sauce and a ton of quinoa/rice mix (dye it a different colour for a laugh) and an avocado salad. Big faff but as it's only once a year...

Silkstalkings Sun 28-Nov-10 08:54:57

Hamster mix gram flour and water to a thin batter and pour into a hot oiled frying pan to make tortillas/pancakes.

Earthymama Sun 28-Nov-10 09:34:47

We always have Rose Elliott's Mushroom en Croute, I love all the preparation and making the pastry Holly leaves and berries!!
I like the sound of the Nut Roast, I've just googled it and think I'll add it to the Earthy seasonal menu smile
Obviously, I need a run through so I might give it a try today!

earlyriser Sun 28-Nov-10 09:39:46

We'll prob be having a redwood turkey roast with sos mix stuffing. Would usually do a nut roast type thing too but my nephew has peanut allergy so will have to rethink. Off to google rose elliot's mushroom en croute!

earlyriser Sun 28-Nov-10 09:44:45

Oh The mushroom en croute has nuts in it too. Anyone any ideas for a nut free vegan xmas dish (dn won't be eating it but we can't have nuts at the table)

Silkstalkings Sun 28-Nov-10 10:27:58

Was it Jane Grigson that did a recipe for risotto baked inside a pumpkin/squash? That would be impressive.

HamsterPoo Sun 28-Nov-10 12:10:02

SilkStalkings, that is a tip worth itsweight in gold!! I havebeen making littlepancakey things from buckwheat flourandquick-cook polenta which are useful but not thin. Thank you smile

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: