Talk

Advanced search

Who wraps up on Christmas Eve

(28 Posts)
spacecadet1 Fri 26-Nov-10 14:35:17

Just been reading a few posts & noticed a lot of you seem to wrap your pressies on Christmas Eve & just wondered how many of you do that & if you're all mad shock.

There aren't enough hours in a normal day (& I'm sure some Christmas Eve hours are stolen from me) so there's no way I could wrap on CE (in fact I'm panicking that I haven't got much wrapping done cos I've been ill & there's still 4 weeks to go.

So which of you are crazy enough to wrap on Christmas Eve & do you do it cos it's the only chance you've got to do it or because you enjoy it or it's tradition.

Just being nosey btw! grin

CherryMonster Fri 26-Nov-10 14:38:46

i wrap a few things on christmas eve because its a nice tradition, but most of it will be done already.

FreudianFoxSquishedByAPouffe Fri 26-Nov-10 14:44:22

Sometimes I have wrapped everything on Xmas eve but only due to being disorganised! I've wrapped about half of the presents so far and I much prefer it. It always seems like a waste of paper if theyre only wrapped for a few hours!

On Xmas eve we will fill the stockings (not wrapping the fillers though) and put the presents under the tree.

spacecadet1 Fri 26-Nov-10 14:53:18

Like your thinking that it's a waste of paper grin

dizzydeee Fri 26-Nov-10 14:54:03

I do wrap then - not all - but my mum managed it and four children and cooked the turkey and had a sherry... wink

spacecadet1 Fri 26-Nov-10 14:57:31

Good grief dizzy if I did that (although with wine not sherry [yuk emoticon]), no-one would get the right present, in fact I'd probably cook the the presents & wrap the turkey grin

dizzydeee Fri 26-Nov-10 15:04:49

I do .. grin grin grin

RatherBeOnThePiste Fri 26-Nov-10 15:07:24

Erm.... That will be me.

nagynolonger Fri 26-Nov-10 15:15:43

I try to do it as I buy. But still end up doing the last few on CE.

ragged Fri 26-Nov-10 15:19:24

I am planning to start wrapping next week.
I hate doing things last minute, I am a meticulous planner and like to do everything far in advance or else I keep fretting that it needs doing and can't relax. Plus DC will be off school from 19 Dec and almost everything has to be done by then because when will I get 5 minutes peace? If I get stuff out of the way now that needs doing, I might actually have a relaxing Xmas eve.

kaiserfootmuff Fri 26-Nov-10 15:28:00

i do, but christmas to me doesn't start a month beforehand

FreudianFoxSquishedByAPouffe Fri 26-Nov-10 15:30:47

I just love wrapping - I couldn't help meself

There is a pile of gifts upstairs that I was planning to wrap but I have stoopid housework to do first envy

krisskross Fri 26-Nov-10 15:31:41

every bloomin year and its v stressfu. this year have told DH i would have all my stuff done by second week in dec and he laughed his head off.grin

RiverOfSleep Fri 26-Nov-10 15:34:55

I have it wrapped before then. Though we aren't buying much this year so there won't be much to wrap anyway.

On Christmas Eve I would rather go for a walk and watch The Snowman and drink mulled wine and read The Night Before Christmas and sprinkle glitterly reindeer food in the garden and all of that. I LOVE Christmas Eve, best day of the year!

Nettee Fri 26-Nov-10 18:19:04

I do because dh says it is traditional. We do it together once the children are in bed. To be honest I hate it and find it very stressful and i think I might just start doing most of it earlier this year. He gets fed up before we have finished anyway - probably harks back to his happy childhood memories when there were only his 3 presents to his immediate family that he was responsible for. I agree about the waste of paper thing now you come to mention it and might put presents under the tree a few days in advance this year.

SauvignonBlanche Fri 26-Nov-10 18:20:43

No way!

mumatron Fri 26-Nov-10 19:02:22

i used to do it on the 24th when i only had ds to wrap for.

used to get to bed about 4 am!

tend to do it in stages now. not as much fun but much more practical.

and dd2 is due on christmas eve this year so it's probably not a good idea to leave any wrapping until then!

FreudianFoxSquishedByAPouffe Fri 26-Nov-10 19:18:20

I'm not risking putting the presents under the tree early for a few more years - they would get ripped into instantly by DH the baby.

We actually have 3 xmases each year (DSCs before, ours on the day, my parents after) so the present opening is spread over a week or so. This year when the tree is up I'll put the presents underneath. Specifically for photos, then I'll hide them again

WhatWouldLeoDo Fri 26-Nov-10 20:37:36

Nope, I always wrap them on the first weekend in December - Christmas tree up during the day, present wrapping at night accompanied by Christmas tunes and fizzy wine.

The presents get hidden away again afterwards.

Christmas Eve is for housework, takeaway, cold beer and looking for batteries a nice meal, a nice bottle of wine and a relaxing evening with Christmas movies.

NoahAndTheWhale Fri 26-Nov-10 20:52:14

Just possibly some presents got wrapped on Christmas Day last year blush

Horton Fri 26-Nov-10 21:03:58

I always wrap DD's stuff on Christmas Eve. It feels like a tradition from the days when I used to help my mum wrap the smaller children's presents then. I stay up late, have a few glasses of something alcoholic and some good snacks (smoked salmon, nice cheese etc) and it feels really festive. I often don't actually have everything bought until the day before, anyway.

The rest of the stuff gets wrapped anything up to a week before but I still adhere to the alcohol and nice snacks rule.

mumeeee Sat 27-Nov-10 00:22:20

I wrap some presents on Christmas eve. I have usually only just got everything by then.

goingroundthebend4 Sat 27-Nov-10 07:48:42

anything that needs building is wrapped xmas eve but once its built, as i hate the mum can you build this mum i want to play with this etc

Lot will get wrapped next week when get fe wminutes peace inbetween school assemblys and dr appointments

BootifulBernie Sat 27-Nov-10 07:55:17

I wrap most of the kids stuff on Xmas Eve. It's tradition! We get the wrapping paper out, lay all the presents out on the living room floor, wine and cheese for DH, sherry and chocs for me, carols on the radio..get set...go! grin

VoldemortsNipple Sat 27-Nov-10 10:59:48

I was told by my DD to stop wrapping presents on christmas eve due to DS1 getting excited. He would be lying in bed saying "Shh I can hear selotape, shh I can hear wrapping paper... mums wrapping presents, followed by creeping down the stairs for drinks, needing the toilet, checking that Santa had his mince pie out.

DH would have to man the door like a bouncer.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: