Talk

Advanced search

LoveFilm/Blockbuster subscription for a housebound friend?

(12 Posts)
Blatherskite Tue 23-Nov-10 15:51:28

One of my best friends and I live about a 4 hour drive away from each other so we don't see each other or the DC's very often but like to send presents through the post at Birthdays and Christmas.

Her 2 DS's are a lot older than mine (10 and 11 years old) so I often struggle to think of what to buy them and as they're becoming tweenagers, it's getting harder and harder! BFF was also diagnosed as being Bi-Polar this year and has had a very tough time, including a stint in a special facility and struggles with leaving the house at the moment.

My idea for this year's Christmas present is to send her and her family a parcel containing a big bowl, packs and packs of popcorn and a voucher for somewhere like Blockbuster or LoveFilm so that they can rent some movies to watch.

It'll work for her as she can get DVD's delivered so she doesn't have to go out and she can get her DH or DS's to post them back. Blockbuster also allow you to borrow DVD's from one of their shops and a quick look on Google (I've not been to her new house since she moved earlier in the year) shows that there is a shop just down the road from them so her DH and DS's would be able to pick up DVDs when they wanted too without waiting for delivery.

Of course the added bonus of getting them something the whole family can share appeals too - her DH was always hard to buy for and they boys are getting increasingly so too!!

I've never used LoveFilm or Blockbuster etc before so I'm not entirely sure what's involved though. Are they any good? What happens if you lose a DVD or one gets damaged? Is it a good present idea do you think or a bit rubbish?

QuoththeRaven Tue 23-Nov-10 15:54:15

ive used lovefilm (through tesco) and have no complaints. if you lose a dvd i think you have to pay for it, but otherwise no problems there

its great fun going through all the movies on their site and choosing ones you'd like to see, you never know what you're going to get so its a surprise every time dvds come through your door.

another plus is you can get video games from them as well

Blatherskite Tue 23-Nov-10 15:57:52

Thanks Quoth. How does it work? Do you chose a load and they send you something random from your list?

taintedpaint Tue 23-Nov-10 16:19:30

I think it's a brilliant idea, and you sound like a lovely thoughtful friend .

Not sure how it works with LoveFilm tbh, but just wanted to tell you the gift idea is fab!

potplant Tue 23-Nov-10 16:25:56

We use Lovefilm its great. On their site they have a huge list of films - anything and everything you can possibly think of. You select which ones you want and they send them to you. You can set priorities of what you want to watch, but its very hit and miss.

There is a monthly subscription charge so I'm not sure how it would work as a gift.

Blatherskite Tue 23-Nov-10 16:39:25

Thank you tainted. blush

potplant - Both LoveFilm and Blockbuster let you chose a gift subscription. You can choose how many months you want it to run for and how many DVDs you'd like them to be able to rent and then you can either e-mail, print or they'll post you a voucher to give.

I was going to print one and add it in with my popcorn and bowl parcel.

potplant Tue 23-Nov-10 21:24:17

Sounds like a great gift.

I think I might steal your idea for my sister!

champagnesupernova Tue 23-Nov-10 21:33:59

What's great is you can catch up on good )
TV prog boxsets (am finally watching glee after all the hype

gallicgirl Tue 23-Nov-10 21:44:07

With Lovefilm you create a wish list and have to wait until the films you want are available and you won't know what you're going to be sent. It could be months before you get new releases.

With Blockbuster you also get vouchers to use in the shops so if you want a new release you can go to the shop and get it straight away. They also sell popcorn wink

Blatherskite Tue 23-Nov-10 21:53:34

potplant - I got the idea from someone else on Mumsnet so feel free

Is Glee good champagne? I never did get round to watching it.

Blatherskite Tue 23-Nov-10 21:56:19

I'm only planning on a 3 month subscription as we have a small budget for each other so maybe LoveFilm wouldn't be the best choice if you ahve to wait so long for films?

potplant Tue 23-Nov-10 22:24:30

I only go to the cinema with DCs for kids films so it doesn't matter so much that I don't get new releases straight away. I only saw Brokeback Mountain about 6 months ago.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: