Talk

Advanced search

Inspiration for Christmas

(8 Posts)
SuperSoph73 Tue 23-Nov-10 14:36:03

I wonder if any of you lovely people could help me out here. We work in a school and it's coming up to the christmas carol concert and we're stuck for inspirational readings, prayers, poems, etc. However, there are certain criteria we have to adhere to as we work in an international school so here goes.

It has to be:-

Short - no more than about 30 seconds
Basic
Possible visuals to go with it
Child friendly

Please help if you can.

Thanks, Soph xxx

Chil1234 Wed 24-Nov-10 10:08:10

How about an extract from Dickens' A Christmas Carol? Something from the last chapter when Scrooge rediscovers the spirit of Christmas, maybe?

healthyElfy Wed 24-Nov-10 10:09:53

Our school tends to change the words of well known songs to fit the occasion. Could you do that?

We also did the candles in oranges procession which was sweet.

gillybean2 Wed 24-Nov-10 10:20:39

If you have a longer piece get several children to read one paragraph each.

And don't be afraid to have contemporary as well as classical stuff. So throw in a bit of 'wish it could be christmas every day' with ' away in a manger'

Twinkle twinkle little star can be good too. My ds's school learnt the german version and sang one verse english one german. Could you not find translations for several languages and do something like that?

SuperSoph73 Wed 24-Nov-10 11:57:46

Thanks for your suggestions everyone. Our carol concert follows a certain pattern. Our school choir sings, there are christmas carols for everyone to sing and there are musical recitals by several students. We also have students doing some readings and it's mainly this that we're stuck for this year as we seem to have exhausted the materials we have in school.

gillybean2 Wed 24-Nov-10 12:57:36

www.dltk-bible.com/poems-christmas.htm

www.prayerguide.org.uk/christmas.htm

poems.christmas-presents-ideas.com/free-christmas- poems.html

Lots more when I googled christmas reading's for children...

itsstillgood Wed 24-Nov-10 14:22:29

He HADN'T stopped Christmas from coming!
IT CAME!
Somehow or other, it came just the same!
"It came without ribbons! It came without tags!"
It came without packages, boxes or bags!"
And he puzzled three hours, till his puzzler was sore.
Then the Grinch thought of something he hadn't before!
"Maybe Christmas," he thought "doesn't comes from a store.
"Maybe Christmas...perhaps...means a little bit more!"

Dr Seuss. My favourite.

SuperSoph73 Fri 26-Nov-10 15:02:46

Love that itsstillgood

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now