Talk

Advanced search

Tips to create a "magical" atmosphere this Christmas?

(19 Posts)
ShanahansRevenge Sat 20-Nov-10 11:51:28

I always manage to "feel the Chrismas magic"...but last year for some reason it was missing a bit...I was having a hard time in some ways....we have 2 dc aged 6 and 2 and I love Christmas...I usually have carols in the days before the big day, we make biscuits etc....crafts....but can anyone share activities or decor that always makes you feel the magic?

CuppaTeaJanice Sat 20-Nov-10 11:55:56

Wrapping up really warm and going for a walk in the dark to see the Christmas lights.

Christingle service.

Watching Christmas films.

A big tree with lots of colourful presents underneath.

SparklyJules Sat 20-Nov-10 11:57:05

Booze. Lots of.grin

ShanahansRevenge Sat 20-Nov-10 11:59:15

Should have said I dont drink! Maybe I should start...egg nog? champagne? grin

motherinferior Sat 20-Nov-10 11:59:31

Yep. I was going to say gin grin

tulpe Sat 20-Nov-10 15:14:02

A walk in the woods during which you decorate a tree. Then back home for mince pies and hot chocolate.

Snuggling up on the sofa reading christmas stories by candlelight.

Getting a conversation going with DCs about how they imagine the North Pole to be - what's Santa's home/workshop like? What does he eat? Does he have special pjs?

And yes, sharing a glass of champagne with DH by the fire is a lovely way to feel christmassy. I also think that doing things like this can bring you together at a time when many women feel like they are doing all the work.

Jbck Sat 20-Nov-10 15:26:36

The night I put up the tree, DH and I sit with just the tree lights on and have a glass of fizz and some chocolates or mince pies/truffles.

Then the kids see the tree the next day or I do it whilst they're at school so it's a magical surprise. Plus I usually get in a bad mood till it's done with the lights or if I get interrupted. grin

abgirl Sun 21-Nov-10 08:07:39

Christmas for all your senses so choral carols playing; a christmas candle (I love the yankee candles, can't afford them the rest of the year but always have a couple at Christmas); all rooms decorated - even just with paper chains and home made snowflakes, and a crimbo tea towel in the kitchen; and lots of yummy food and drink.

We always go for a festive day out on 23rd or Christmas eve, last year on a steam train and this year on a canal boat as it really starts 'proper' Christmas off nicely, and we go to a nativity service on Christmas eve to try and remind DSs that there is a reason for the presents.

Also we have traditions that we are now doing each year and that really helps make it all feel special - christmas pj's on christmas eve, a gingerbread house and dec's for the tree - there's loads of ideas on here, but it's returning to them each year that will make it memorable for your family

ENormaSnob Sun 21-Nov-10 10:18:30

I am the same as you op, love Xmas but didn't feel it last year due to dc3 being a newborn and moving into our new house on the 18th dec shock

am working Christmas day and boxing day on nights this year too sad

ASecretLemonadeDrinker Sun 21-Nov-10 10:25:06

fairy lights up the banisters, drapes over curtain poles, in door swags/garlands, red throws on sofa, cheap red/green/white cushions - iron on felt tress/reindeer etc.

taffetacat Sun 21-Nov-10 12:49:52

I second that creating Christmas magic is about bombarding all the senses. To me, its about the sounds of Christmas songs, the smell of the tree, cinnamon scent and freshly baked mince pies, the feel of the cold wind on your face then the warm snugness of indoors, the taste of cinnamon, cloves and oranges and looking at the sparkly lights and the joy and excitement on the children's faces.

The best way to feel it is through your children. As tulpe says, talk to your DC about it and listen to their responses and lose yourself in what they feel.

ShanahansRevenge Mon 22-Nov-10 09:31:58

Some great thoughts and ideas..thanks! I actually feel it a bit already!

sethstarkaddersmum Mon 22-Nov-10 09:39:08

secret surprises

LatteLady Mon 22-Nov-10 10:24:07

A friend of mine used to fill his dc's bedrooms with balloons when they were asleep on Christmas Eve... kept them busy till daylight!

simonedeboudoir Mon 22-Nov-10 11:37:39

Last year we took the dds to the children's Christingle service at the village church on christmas eve - felt sooo christmassy after that! Then home for mince pies and hot chocolate by the tree, and at bedtime leaving out stockings and a mince pie and beer wink for santa and a carrot for the reindeer.

Will also be having a few winter pimms while wrapping

On Christmas morning I'm going to do this for breakfast

ShanahansRevenge Mon 22-Nov-10 12:57:14

I love the balloon idea LatteLady!

ShanahansRevenge Mon 22-Nov-10 12:57:52

Mmmm Winter Pimms! Anoter good idea!

simonedeboudoir Mon 22-Nov-10 13:40:22

grin I liked taffetacat's point about bombarding all the senses.

Another element to the Christmas magic - for me - is the warm fuzzy memories of christmasses past, particularly in my own early childhood, and little repeated family traditions. So these days I'm trying to create and - build on - special memories for my own dds.

A special christmas memory for me was helping with all the christmas decorations after we'd come home from school at the end of term. In addition to helping decorate the big christmas tree, I used to love popping little baubles on a mini silver tinsel tree we had for years. I got so excited when I saw one yesterday in tesco!

Oh oh and you need a good advent calendar. And candles on christmas eve too

I'm not really living in the past, honest smile

ElephantsAndMiasmas Mon 22-Nov-10 14:03:07

go carol singing? even if you only go to one or two neighbours' doors and get the kids to squeak out "Away In A Manger". Old people often love this, especially.

Stories or poems you have every year are great too. Do you read the kids "The Night Before Christmas"? It's brilliant <nostalgic>

Get a game and wrap it up as a "family present" and keep it til later in the day on Christmas Day 3 or 4 o'clock maybe? So there is still something to open all day - keep up the excitement. And then it's something you can all do together.

SSM - am SO excited/intrigued about the "secret surprises"?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: