Talk

Advanced search

ds1, 9, would love lots of small toy soldiers and things to make battlescenes - do they exist?

(12 Posts)
nearlytoolate Wed 17-Nov-10 21:56:04

Ds1 is getting a bit old for playmobil but is still asking for bits of battle equipment and soldiers. I know he would love toy soldiers (the more numerous the better) together with some bits of kit he could use to set up battle scenes - look out towers, battlements, defences etcc etc. I've tried googling 'toy soldiers' but can't find anything quite right. Does anything like this exist?
what about warhammer? is that similar? or is he still a bit young for that? <ignorant emoticon>

twirlymum Wed 17-Nov-10 22:01:18

Have you tried Games Workshop? They do small scale battle scenes you can build/paint etc.
Hobbycraft is good too.

onimolap Wed 17-Nov-10 22:01:23

Yes, they do still exist.

If you're in London, they often have them in stock at the National Army Museum. I have also seen them in Asda (but haven't been looking for a while)

<<wish there was still Woolworths>>

Stinkyfeet Wed 17-Nov-10 22:03:41

Anything here?

nigglewiggle Wed 17-Nov-10 22:04:26

My Nephew was into Warhammer at that age. Hasn't done him any harm grin.

nearlytoolate Wed 17-Nov-10 22:05:16

thanks - not in london (about 300 miles away!) but I think we have a games workshop somewhere locally.
I do feel somewhat ambivalent about encouraging this but I am trying not to be too disapproving!

CMOTdibbler Wed 17-Nov-10 22:08:23

Try here

taffetacat Wed 17-Nov-10 22:22:23

I would go into a games workshop if you have one locally. The geeks people who work in there are very knowledgeable and can give great advice to beginners. My DS (7) isn't really interested in the games, but is fascinated by the tween boys who stand by the tables in games workshop enacting scenes with their toolbox style cases alongside. grin

curlycat Thu 18-Nov-10 08:03:14

Don't know if it's exactly what you are looking for or even if it's a bit too young but if you look up World Peacekeeper toys (bit like action man) they have loads of bits to make up battles and stuff.

onimolap Thu 18-Nov-10 21:17:46

I was in John Lewis today: they had a box of small khaki ((presumably paintable) plastic soldiers at either £3.99 or £4.99 (sorry, brain has gone a bit soft). There was also a larger tub of Toy Story tie-in ones; dare say you'd be able to find those in a lot of department stores.

Desiderata Thu 18-Nov-10 21:19:15

Most of the pound shops do bags of toy shoulders, nearly.

They generally come in green and khaki so they can battle with them, and they have different postures.

gillybean2 Thu 18-Nov-10 21:25:32

www.elc.co.uk/Red-Knight-Figures---4-Pack/125765,d efault,pd.html

www.gltc.co.uk/fcp/product/-/boys'%20playsets/Red- Knights-Set/10000001966

Most independant toys shops have similar items to these too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now