Talk

Advanced search

Nursery staff presents

(18 Posts)
gregssausageroll Wed 17-Nov-10 07:50:48

I know wine seems to be the thing but DS key worker is a bloke so I am thinking wine for the general staff and a case of beer for him (yes, I am presuming he will drink bud or similar!). What do you think?

Secondly, when do you hand your gifts in?

First year at nursery so not sure what happens!

Thanks

Lauree Wed 17-Nov-10 08:21:45

It all assumes they drink alcohol; need to be a bit careful because not everyone does... specially if yo live in a multi racial area where there are faith issues around alcohol.

Of course all nurserys are different, but here it was a small gift: some people made it a bottle of wine, others just a heartfelt card maybe made by DC or a bunch of flowers. I decided to buy smallish but special chocolate for my son's key workers, but because he has special needs, there were rather a lot of them ( OT's physio, class teacher, learning assistant), and maybe they didn't like chocolate. who knows.

Only thing with a case of beer is it's going to be heavy/ unweildy for him to carry home. what if everyone did the same?? I'd go for something smaller myself. Anyway, most blokes drink wine if you want to go that way.

Don't let it get out of hand though; I really don't think you need to buy gifts at all, and not for everyone unless you really do want to.

Lauree Wed 17-Nov-10 08:24:31

oh, gifts / cards for staff on last day.
Also, cards for all the kids (usually tiny or homemade cards)... the staff might give you a list of all the names if you ask. Kids cards go in a bit earlier so they can have fun posting and delivering them. You'll see when it starts because your DC will start bringing cards home; start clearing your mantelpiece now!!

gregssausageroll Wed 17-Nov-10 08:32:29

I never thought of half of that! Thank you though

Lauree Wed 17-Nov-10 12:04:36

its a minefield!

soppypreggyloon Wed 17-Nov-10 13:09:58

i baked large plate of gingerbread biscuits for the team to share on breaks as ds interacts with so many of them.
i included a list of ingredients on a sticky label just in case. we brought this in at the start of the last week. this went down really well as everyone we saw thanked us profusely! grin {smug face}
for his key workers we got some chocs/ wine i think - i knew they both were fine with boozy drinks we gave their gifts on his last day.

i love our nursery but can't afford big pressies!

mamatomany Wed 17-Nov-10 13:10:21

M&S vouchers, they can get a nice meal for 2 for ten pounds so i put that thought in their heads as i hand over the card.

MyMamaToldMe Wed 17-Nov-10 13:28:11

mamatomany - if you don't mind me asking - was it a £10 voucher you gave each? Think the voucher idea is a great one, but unsure of how much to give.

ShadeofViolet Wed 17-Nov-10 14:01:11

I am buying DS's keyworker this she does DS's 1-2-1 as he has SN and she has reall helped him this year, so I wanted something special.

All the other ladies are getting chocolates.

mamatomany Wed 17-Nov-10 14:43:39

I give three of them £10 each, would be different if there were 6 of them.

gregssausageroll Wed 17-Nov-10 15:59:27

There are 3 of them I know well but the room has 6 workers so it could be quite pricey. I might on the otherhand give some M&S cakes with a card. If I do it at the start of the year then hopefully it will catch everyone before holidays.

Sitdownandhaveapombear Wed 17-Nov-10 16:26:24

I used to do a pile of little gifts from m&s/boots etc. Mostly about a fiver each but made sure there was at least one for each of the carers (it was a small nursery so not too crippling!). Wrapped them up, take them in a big bag and make like Santa . Meant that I could give something to everyone - along with the obligatory Christmas cards as someone's already mentioned!

gillybean2 Wed 17-Nov-10 17:56:32

Last year my ds gave his teachers and TA's (5 in all) a nice home made chocolate cake on a fancy plate from whittards (plate to be kept). Plates were in the sale and cost £2 each! Cakes took a couple of hours to make and was far easier than treking round the shops!

The cakes were extremly well received and ds had a hand in making them which the staff loved hearing. One TA was exceptionally grateful and said her kids had polished it off the same day!

www.mumsnet.com/Recipes?call=RecipePage&pid=4291

Realise your ds is a bit younger but I think it's nice to give them something that the dc have had a hand in making.

First year at primary ds decorated some Christmas decorations we got in a kit. Very simply just painting on glitter. Small and simple and something they can use every year on their tree.

WannabeNigella Wed 17-Nov-10 18:06:02

Mixed casanova wine here. They all get to choose what they like and I think they get so much chocolate and sweets and cakes etc that this gives them something to wash it down with wink

WannabeNigella Wed 17-Nov-10 18:06:38

Case of not Casanova lol!

geordieminx Wed 17-Nov-10 18:58:59

I have ordered personalized mugs from asifbymagic.com.

Going to put them in a lovely wicker basket, with some home made brownies.

oldraver Wed 17-Nov-10 20:43:37

I bought all DS's pre-school teachers a Christmas candle and holder last year. I had planned on the candle but DSchose the penguin holder

bossyboop Thu 18-Nov-10 13:47:54

QVC is brilliant for gifts like this, ive got a scented candle set, 5 small candles in glass holders a box of matching tealights to go with each, 2 for school, 1 for a relative and 2 for me smile They also do sets of mr christmas musical ornaments, e.g. a ceramic handpainted xmas tree, you wind it up and open it up and a train goes a round a tree and o christmas tree plays. Ive had 2 sets of them before, ideal as stocking fillers also and no one knows what you have spent. They have also got xmas themed tealight holders...theres loads of things at QVC that I could buy, I love their sets as you can give the teachers gifts, stocking fillers for others and keep some for yourself!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: