Talk

Advanced search

telescope for an 8 year old? please help!

(8 Posts)
Lucyintheskywithdiamonds Tue 16-Nov-10 10:50:25

My dd has asked for a telescope this year as they are doing space etc at school and she is really into it.
We would usually spend £50 to £100 but could go in with grandparents if necessary.
I know nothing about telescopes and how much we would have to spend to get one good enough to use properly etc.
Can anyone help? Has anyone got one for their dcs and where did they get it etc?
TIA

TheFoosa Tue 16-Nov-10 10:51:30

marking my place, my dd also wants a telescope

TheFoosa Tue 16-Nov-10 10:52:55

I'm sure someone recommended the science museum one

here

but that's too £££ for me

Lucyintheskywithdiamonds Tue 16-Nov-10 11:43:37

thanks
might get that and get my parents to go halves.

TeeBee Tue 16-Nov-10 13:18:17

My 7-year old also wants one. Have asked my MIL for ideas because she a bit of an astronomer and am awaiting her reply, will let you know. I want a really good one so I can nick it when he's in bed. Is she very excited about Jupiter? Mine can't sleep at the moment - spends too much time gazing out the window!

MaryBS Tue 16-Nov-10 13:20:25

We did the research last year for our 10yo daughter. In hindsight the one we got was too complicated. There was another option, I'll see if I can find out what I found then...

BoysAreLikeDogs Tue 16-Nov-10 13:21:40

I love the neatness of this, it's on MY list this year

OhYouBadBadKitten Tue 16-Nov-10 13:30:01

I have to say, for the price, you are much better off getting a really decent pair of binoculars with a tripod. Telescopes that don't cost very much (relatively) tend to have v.poor optics and light gathering. They are also more difficult for young children to see through properly. I'd really recommend considering a good pair (of say 10x50) binoculars.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now