Talk

Advanced search

Please help-is it bad not to buy the overpriced plastic shite dd has asked for?

(36 Posts)
MilaMae Sun 14-Nov-10 20:41:36

Apologies if this pops up elsewhere,computer playing up.

DD nearly 6 has some lovely toys however she gets nothing all year except at Xmas and bday which is at Xmas so it's important to get it right iykwim.

DD has asked for some Moxie girl snow thing which having looked into is just 2 plastic walls and a chimney you shove fake snow into. Doesn't even include a doll so for a doll and said cabin-£50. I know it's shoddy quality and dd wouldn't play with it for long especially with it being winter themed.

She has a lovely Gotz doll and a few SF which she plays with in bursts all year round.She's mentioned she'd like some bunk beds for said doll or a friend which I'd be more than happy to buy as she'd get lots of play out of them. She mentioned SF in passing too which again I'd be happy with due to the oodles of play value.

The Moxie shite is top of her letter to FC though so feeling bad,very bad.

What do I do???? Dp useless.£50 is a lot of money and I don't want to waste it.

Would it be very bad not to get the MG?She's having a ds she's dying for pooled money from everybody so she'll be a very lucky girl either way.

sethstarkaddersmum Sun 14-Nov-10 20:45:13

of course it wouldn't be bad not to get it, don't be silly smile
you know, and we all know, that a 6yo can have their heart set on something for ages and then it will be something else a few weeks after they get it.
you are the adult, you know better than her what she will play with; get her the thing you know will last.

maxybrown Sun 14-Nov-10 20:47:30

no not at all, sometimes we have to let our sensibility take over!!!

DS aged just 3 wants a remote control ibird - as much as that is what he mentions everytime we will not get it as DH had one last year and it only lasted him about 5 minutes grin

SunshineOnLee Sun 14-Nov-10 20:49:13

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Himalaya Sun 14-Nov-10 20:49:13

Yup. What she said. Don't feel bad. You'll feel worse if you buy it and have to look at it barely played with all year.

PlumBumMum Sun 14-Nov-10 20:52:13

maxybrown that remote contro bird if a parot is half price in Argos until Tuesday
Just incase you change your mindgrin

MilaMae Sun 14-Nov-10 20:56:50

Have just shown dp the link of it on Tesco out of it's box and it's literally 2 plastic walls(that will fall over),a chair and a few other microscopic things.Oh it has icicles on it which is the clincher for dd hmm. You shove a bag of snow down the chimney which will be used up before Xmas day lunch-and no bloody doll in it!!!!!!

I hate the way companies try and rip off parents by luring kids in with pretty packaging.We then get get to feel like shite or ripped off.

So she won't remember this forever as the Christmas she never had a Moxie Girl,she has mentioned it a lot? It's particularly difficult as she hasn't mentioned anything else
with such enthusiasm.

We would be bonkers to waste £50 though wouldn't we.

sethstarkaddersmum Sun 14-Nov-10 20:59:11

no she'll remember it as the year she gets the ds.

maxybrown Sun 14-Nov-10 21:02:21

yes you would be bonkers!!

The bird DS wants is the silverlit one - it flies like the helicopters and incredibly hard to control and expensive novelty crap really!

Don't do it!!!!

MNTotoro Sun 14-Nov-10 21:40:12

You'd be mad. I looked at it for DD. There is a LIV dolls one whihc is similar and looks better (and cheaper) here

However, I got DD a Moxie fashion designer set from Sainsburys in the 1/2 price sale for £20. It had a doll and lots of clothes to colour in. Maybe you could get something Moxie, and then something sylvanian?

spacedog Sun 14-Nov-10 21:50:12

The year before last I bought DD some of the things she asked for and a couple of things I thought she'd like. She asked why we'd bought stuff not on her list. So last year I made sure I got the Moxie Girls hair colour set, which she had been going on about for WEEKS. Which she then went on to play with once, the quality was really awful. I'm not really sure what the moral of my story is...perhaps if it's the only thing she wants I'd get it but if it's part of a list containing nicer stuff, ignore it. They truly are rubbish, worse than Barbie even.

MilaMae Sun 14-Nov-10 22:15:40

I saw that Liv thing but for some reason it's the Moxie snow thing thats the bees knees,it's the icicles I suspect confused.

2 years ago I fell for the Golden Coin maker which ds had his heart set on,that got played with once too. Really not keen on making the same mistake twice.

Thanks all,it's good to know I'm not being a complete control freak.

CakeCuresAll Sun 14-Nov-10 22:19:50

well, DD is asking for a baby sister and I'll not be getting her that so sometimes it's ok to not get them the thing at the top of the list

Plus, do you think she'll care on xmas day? MIne will be far to wrapped up in the excitement.

MNTotoro Mon 15-Nov-10 08:22:59

My DH wanted a BigTrak for Christmas. He got a chess computer. He still goes on about it...

girlywhirly Mon 15-Nov-10 09:06:09

Mila, if you find DD still wants the Moxie snow thing, could you help her make one from a cardboard box and decorate it yourselves? You can get strings of tiny icicles, snow 'carpets' and if you really want to make a mess, artificial snow granules at this time of year. It will cost significantly less and she will be less likely to ditch it as she will have put lots of effort into making it. And you will be able to afford a doll, too. You could also add a string of battery powered led lights, which will thrill DD.

bobblehat Mon 15-Nov-10 09:18:34

I generally go by the rule that if they've asked for it but I think it's tat/won't get played with then they don't get it. However if it's then on the birthday list, ie they've asked for it twice, then they probably will get it. (mine too don't really get anything between christmas and birthdays)

But yanbu if you don't get her it.

Jux Mon 15-Nov-10 09:32:21

Grandparents! This is exactly what they're for! Ask MIL or your mum to get it for her, or get it between them, and then get her something decent yourself. (Is that mean?)

nannynobnobs Mon 15-Nov-10 09:43:50

Totoro, they sell Bigtraks on Firebox.com
I love the idea of making the snow scene instead, and buying a doll to put in it.

Decorhate Mon 15-Nov-10 10:44:36

I have a similar dilemma in that ds2 is asking for a Club Penguin igloo playset - I naively thought they cost a tenner but they are £30! If it was the only thing he wanted, maybe but it won't be... Having said that my dd wanted a Tweenies similar thing many years ago, I did think it was expensive for what it was but it got played with loads so was sort of worth it...

MilaMae Mon 15-Nov-10 12:44:41

Just looked at the pic again and feeling a tad guilty however that snow idea is fantastic!!!!!!!!! Right up my street.grin Could either put a packet in her stocking or do it as a project pre Xmas.

The tiny icicle string Girly where have you seen those?

We don't have hoards of family so the grandparents money is kind of a big deal hence not wanting to waste it iykwim.

She really won't remember this for good will she?We had a falling out this am and she was sent off to school with a flea in her ear so having a bit of a guiltfest-sorryblush

MNTotoro Mon 15-Nov-10 12:52:59

MilaMae - she's still young enough not to remeber it i would think. DH was about 8 or 9 I think. Tempted by the Bigtrak on firebox...

gillybean2 Mon 15-Nov-10 13:01:51

Got to be careful. Is she really set on it? Are you ready to shatter her 'Santa knows all' myth?

On the other hand my friend's ds asks for totally inappropriate things. At 4 he wanted a ds... He's 7 now (still no ds) and when I asked what he was hoping for he said an iPad!? [shocked] Somehow I just know he'll be getting lego instead.

My ds announced two years ago about 4 days before xmas that he really really really wanted a certain ds game and Santa knew this. I had already got him a different one was was rather torn.
ON the day he was searching under the tree for the right shaped present and barely looked at anything else till he found it.
Yes mugins Santa here had treked out at the last moment to pick it up. Fortunately his birthday is in January so I simply put the game I already had in the birthday box of stuff instead. grin

MilaMae Mon 15-Nov-10 13:32:37

www.direct.tesco.com/product/images/?R=208-1351

Do you see my dilemma?

Not a lot for £30

MilaMae Mon 15-Nov-10 13:35:02

Sorry link doesn't work-the Tesco shot is quite good though as it's all out of it's box. Buggar all!!!!!!

<weeps at the thought of all the SF you could buy for £30>

anotherbrickinthewall Mon 15-Nov-10 13:38:28

link doesn't work (on my computer anyway).

Not at all unreasonable to refuse to buy as it sounds like a pile of shite from your description and she's getting a DS anyway.

btw sometimes you get what they ask for, it's decent quality, but they still hardly play with it, kids can be fickle confused

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now