Talk

Advanced search

ideas for 6 year old ds?

(13 Posts)
pillsthrillsandbellyaches Tue 09-Nov-10 21:29:56

hi, looking for ideas for pressies for 6 year old son.
have about £100 to spend.
any thoughts please?

GailRSPB Wed 10-Nov-10 13:11:52

Hi, what sort of things does he like and is he in to? Lego always goes down well and my 6 year old nephew loves anything to do with Starwars, Ironman and Spiderman. Are you looking to get one big present and a few stocking fillers or several smaller presents? A few ideas - dressing up clothes (again Starwars / Spiderman), DVD such as Spongebob Squarepants, Shrek, Up!, Toy Story 3, Kung Fu Panda etc, any sort of action figures (although Transformers are still big), books, stickers, crayons, remote control car (or helicopter!). If he enjoys being outside one present you might want to think about is an RSBP Wildlife Explorer Membership. I’m afraid I am a bit biased as I do help out a bit at the RSPB but it’s a great wildlife club aimed at kids. Membership is for a year and they get a pack specific to their age which includes posters, stickers, magazine, etc plus free entry to more than 100 RSPB nature reserves around the UK and a free gift. If you just wanted to go for one main present does he have a bike yet? Hope this helps!

richarda Wed 10-Nov-10 14:32:47

Construction sets are always good value and engaging.

Lego/K'Nex are favourites. What about Zoob, Quercetti or Superstructs for a change? Tryron Supermag is a good replacement for the no longer available Geomag.

Puzzles are always popular. How about Horrible Histories jigsaws?

Books are fab, something like Famous Five have been updated and are fun to read alone or with a parent. Audio CDs can also help build a love of stories.

R

bigchris Wed 10-Nov-10 14:34:01

My ds wants the new ben 10 car

asdx2 Wed 10-Nov-10 14:37:20

I bought my ds a chess set at six and taught him to play. He was playing county level by 9 and loves chess to this day. He's 21 now smile

ja9 Wed 10-Nov-10 19:14:42

asdx2 - i think my 6yo would love chess... he's a bright boy and always choose games over toys... but neither dh or i playsad. i've tried to learn a couple of times. would you come play with him grin?

ja9 Wed 10-Nov-10 19:15:47

op - what about a nintendo ds or a wii? maxi scooter? bike?

asdx2 Wed 10-Nov-10 19:35:46

Ja pester the school to start a club. Once ds could play he challenged his teachers and they set up a club. They set up inter school tournaments and ds was spotted then.There is still a thriving chess club at his old school now.

ja9 Wed 10-Nov-10 20:01:36

great idea - i actually think there might be a chess club at his school - must find out what age it is for...

Takver Wed 10-Nov-10 21:06:57

This is an excellent book - you could very easily work through it and learn to play together.

Actually, I wish I'd had it as a child rather than learning a bit randomly from my dad!

pillsthrillsandbellyaches Wed 10-Nov-10 21:12:14

thanks you guys.
i think i will get him a ds.
my dad also leaves buying the kids pressies up to me too and just gives me the cash! (and i bloody have to wrap them too)

he does like construction things, but i have found that specific lego sets for 6+ are far too complicated. he would tend to use normal basic lego and just build things with it.

he does love marble runs and has 3!

i might try that zoob stuff.

he likes arts and crafts too.

i have actually got me him the back to the future trilogy as well. (god, i still love marty mcfly...)

audio cds are a good idea thanks. i loved famous five too!

will def look into rspb thing too thanks gail. my hubby says i spend more time feeding the birds than i do the family!

GailRSPB Wed 17-Nov-10 18:49:28

Hah ha - yes think my hsuband thinks the same thing about me . Glad to have been able to help. Good luck!

mogs0 Wed 17-Nov-10 19:35:18

My ds was taught how to play chess by his class mate last year (when he was 7) and then taught me! I always thought it was a very complicated game but ds must be a very good teacher because I got the hang of it very quickly grin.

I've just ordered ds a Nat Geo subscription with my Tesco vouchers which looks quite good.

The How to Train Your Dragon books and audio books are great too. I think we've read all of the books and ds has 2 audio books which he listens to every week.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: