Talk

Advanced search

Do I take a gift for their little ones....

(16 Posts)
ineedatissue Tue 09-Nov-10 20:05:36

We've been invited over to some friends for christmas lunch - they're on the same road as us and it's a very relaxed affair with me taking some stuff and them cooking the turkey etc. They have a baby and a DS who is 2.5. Now - we wouldn't normally exchange gifts / give them to the kids and I'm a bit stumped as to what to do in this situation.

I don't want to take something if it will lead to any awkwardness if they haven't got something for ours and they're bothered by that and vice versa.

Help!!

mememe30 Tue 09-Nov-10 20:42:39

Could you get something small and keep it in your bag until they bring something out?

pirateparty Tue 09-Nov-10 20:46:52

How old are your children?

GoldenHaze Tue 09-Nov-10 20:49:15

If they've invited you for Christmas lunch then yes, I would definitely take a pressie for everyone, not just the children.

They're playing host (on a BIG day), so there's no need for them to have gifts ready for you.

ineedatissue Tue 09-Nov-10 21:20:17

I'm just not sure how to pitch it.

Ours are 3 and 2....

pozzled Tue 09-Nov-10 21:24:05

I would take something, but keep it fairly low-key. Small gift for the kids and some nice wine or something for them. If they don't get anything then it just looks as though you're being considerate towards them as hosts. And if they do, it's fine.

Hulababy Tue 09-Nov-10 21:25:33

I would take a gift for the children.

As you are already contributing to food and drink (I assume by "stuff") then gifts for adults not required.

Borisismyhousespider Tue 09-Nov-10 21:25:47

Yes I'd take gifts for both of their children, wouldn't worry about the adults though, as your taking some food over already, maybe extra chocs for after dinner/some wine for you all to share.

ineedatissue Tue 09-Nov-10 21:32:42

Thank you everyone. What kind of gifts for the kids?? please can you give me some egs....?? confused

pirateparty Tue 09-Nov-10 21:51:57

Yes would def take something for each of the children, and agree a good bottle of wine or two for parents would be appropriate.

What about tractor / helicopter / book for 2.5 de - something he can play with / look at straightaway. Doesn't need to be expensive at all. And for the baby something like a lamaze type toy - Freddie the firefly etc. Can get easily online from amazon etc.

ineedatissue Tue 09-Nov-10 22:52:25

actually a book is a good idea - maybe a fairy tale one for the pair of them to share to make it less formal do you think?

GoldenHaze Wed 10-Nov-10 15:50:55

A book to share would look mean, I think. Just my opinion though!

4plus1 Wed 10-Nov-10 16:03:07

Get a big gift bag and put in say a nice book in for each dc, some wine, a candle, box of sweets, maybe something householdy like a small set of hand towels. Then you can say ' here's a few things for your family just to say thanks for having us'.

MrsVincentPrice Wed 10-Nov-10 16:19:45

Agree with everyone else - do bring gifts, then if they've got you something you're prepared, and if they haven't you can present it as "thank you for having us".
Books are good - maybe an Amazing Baby or That's Not My.. for the little one.

Changebagsandgladrags Wed 10-Nov-10 16:41:10

No sharing, a neighbour of ours always used to give me and my brother something 'shared' and we always thought 'mean old cow'

I say ask friend if there is anything their DS is into and get an outfit for baby.

Then for them get wine/port and some nice chocs.

ineedatissue Wed 10-Nov-10 19:33:04

Thank you so much everyone for your help!!! I will get some little thoughtful things together. I won't get big things as that will be over the top I think.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: