Talk

Advanced search

How do you decorate your table for Xmas Day lunch/dinner?

(35 Posts)
OhCobblers Mon 08-Nov-10 21:40:52

i've got a red and gold selection that i've used for the last 5 years but am a tad bored with it.

how do you decorate yours? any ideas for something new??

CherryMonster Mon 08-Nov-10 21:43:09

i have a plain black tablecloth, then a smaller, patterned white one over the top. this year the centre will be a silver tray containing a big pillar candle surrounded by pine cones, some sprayed silver, and some sprayed with fake snow. plain white dishes, silver and black crackers.

Leslaki Mon 08-Nov-10 21:45:03

I used to do it tastefully but then dd came along... she likes bling!!

used to be white and gold with one of the wee Thornotons individual Xmas chocolate puddings or robins at each plate with a 'nice' cracker and some lovely wee tabel decs. Now we have homemade placecards, decorationsand hats to go with the paperchains, sequins, racing sprouts crackers etc etc etc

girlywhirly Tue 09-Nov-10 08:42:06

We have a gold runner across the centre of the table, gold chargers, and gold glass coasters. No tablecloth. Then there are gold or red crackers, the best cutlery and the white china. There is some sort of festive floral creation which changes each year.

What about using red things and adding white or silver or both? Or some green? Or keep the gold and add in silver and pewter, or gold and green? Or go for broke and get new things and sell the others in the local paper if they are in good condition.

taffetacat Tue 09-Nov-10 14:13:32

Red, white and silver here. Just bought Nordic red and white crackers, have red and white napkins, going to tie them with these Chrsitmas pudding charms that I am always too terrified to put in the pud. blush

JL have some gorgeous red tumblers that I am coveting, would be brill for mulled wine etc, but they are a bit toppy atm. Will hopefully buy some in the post Xmas sale for next year......

I also fill a big silver bucket/vase thing with greenery from the garden incl holly and then hang weeny red matt baubles off it. It sounds awfully naff, but it actually looks vair tasteful.

taffetacat Tue 09-Nov-10 14:14:26

oops charms

Hullygully Tue 09-Nov-10 14:20:55

We put a line of tables all through the dining room and into the hall and cover them in purple cloths sprinkled (by the dc) with gold glitter. Then all down the middle is a really long battery operated train track with the condiments (robins) in the trucks. They can go up and down the table and stop at each setting as required. Every plate (gold and purple striped) has a purple cracker, a Christmas animal hat (like a reindeer or a dwarf) made by my grandfather and a carved wooden glass holder (ditto). The glasses are 10" flutes with a gold design.

Because the table is so long we have six centrepieces, all different, all christmas story themed, so one is a manger scene, one has Mary on the donkey, one has a lot of sheep with a star above etc. Each chair is covered in gold and purple fabric and a small tree on a long ploe is attached to the back of each that is hung with tiny gifts for the guest in that particular chair.

It's really lovely!!

Saltire Tue 09-Nov-10 14:24:21

Blimey Hully, how many guests do you have?

Hullygully Tue 09-Nov-10 14:29:19

Usually upwards of forty.

We have carollers too, they come in for the port bit.

bigchris Tue 09-Nov-10 14:31:29

Pmsl at hully

Hullygully Tue 09-Nov-10 14:32:02

Why?!

bb99 Tue 09-Nov-10 14:32:39

with lots of food and a tablecloth, plus napkins and a few crackers...but LOTS of food..

bigchris Tue 09-Nov-10 14:32:53

For the leg pulling wink

Hullygully Tue 09-Nov-10 14:33:51

Not here, chum.

bigchris Tue 09-Nov-10 14:36:12

Really? Where do you get your carollers from on Xmas day then? The homeless shelter?

Hullygully Tue 09-Nov-10 14:37:28

Er, yes. Round our way the Crisis at Christmas team get a bunch together and go out singing for jollity and fundraising (and a few mince pies round ours)

bigchris Tue 09-Nov-10 14:42:07

Well forgive my error then grin apologies all round

Hullygully Tue 09-Nov-10 14:43:30

Sallright. I made it all up. hehehehe

BudaisintheZONE Tue 09-Nov-10 14:46:40

Hully you always make me smile smile. It all sounds lovely dear.

Well for the last 3 or 4 years it has been cream crockery with red and gold accessories at my parents. But this year for the first time ever it is just DH, DS and me. I am not sure yet what to do. Maybe red and white and silver.

Hullygully Tue 09-Nov-10 14:48:27

On a more serious note...

where is the green, people?

bigchris Tue 09-Nov-10 14:52:26

I knew it grin

Hullygully Tue 09-Nov-10 14:55:00

But no one would dare risk the homeless bit being true..hehehe

BudaisintheZONE Tue 09-Nov-10 16:25:13

Actually have just remembered our wedding present china is white with green and gold. So that will be my theme. Have a gold table runner too.

taffetacat Tue 09-Nov-10 17:21:38

Mistletoe green is apparently de rigueur this year

Napkins from Designers Guild etc. Ho hum.

worm77daisy Wed 10-Nov-10 06:29:59

We were red and gold but this year I am ditching the red and using purple eg purple cyclamens and pansies.

Inspired by Hully I am wondering if I can affix condiments to scaletrix...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now