Talk

Advanced search

What do you have for breakfast Christmas morning?

(66 Posts)
bytheMoonlight Thu 04-Nov-10 14:44:35

I know its very early to be talking about this, but I am 40+3 wks pg and VERY bored!

DH loves a bacon sandwhich but I would prefer something lighter and less fatty what with all the rich food that will be consumed over the next 24hrs.

Also means one of us is stuck in the kitchen in the morning when I'd prefer us to be in the living room with the presents and dd

I know some people have croissants but how do you mke sure they are fresh, do you buy them Christmas Eve?

Would love suggestions

nickelbangBANGbang Thu 04-Nov-10 14:45:52

with a 2month old baby, it'll be your DH in the kitchen, so let him have what he wants! wink

scurryfunge Thu 04-Nov-10 14:46:47

We usually have scrambled eggs on buttery toast.

summery Thu 04-Nov-10 14:47:25

We usually end up with croissants and pain au chocolat. I either buy them Christmas Eve or there is a farm shop near us which sells frozen unbaked ones you can just whizz in the oven Christmas morning.

Dc's have orange juice and dh and I have bucks fizz.

Coca Thu 04-Nov-10 14:47:43

We have smoked salmon and scrambled eggs.
You can buy frozen croissants at our local farm shop that expand as they defrost overnight ready for cooking in the morning.

LadyInPink Thu 04-Nov-10 14:48:02

We gorge on chocolate pennies tbh then just have a cuppa and some toast if we fancy it. DC have cereal or eggs or perhaps a pain au chocolate - you buy them and freeze them and use if you fancy them!

CherryRocketMonster Thu 04-Nov-10 14:48:15

scrambled duck eggs on toast made from posh bread. croissants, pain au chocolat, posh coffee, orange juice and champers (or cava)

evenkeel Thu 04-Nov-10 14:51:16

Oooh, yes, croissants with lashings of butter and really nice jam, ideally cherry. And maybe even a glass of Buck's Fizz, to start building up the correct degree of befuddled haze for the cooking of dinner....grin

I'd get the croissants the day before (if you can bear the Xmas Eve madness) and warm them through.

sockapoodle Thu 04-Nov-10 15:07:06

Do a big ham on xmas eve, then have ham and eggs for xmas morning. Then with ham, turkey and chocolate we can feast for a week. Dribble. grin

dolphin13 Thu 04-Nov-10 15:16:41

Croissants, pain au raisin, and other danish pastries, All frozen so I can just throw them in the oven with no fuss. Served with Bucks Fizz.

TeamEdward Thu 04-Nov-10 15:19:41

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

MissAnneElk Thu 04-Nov-10 15:20:19

DDs usually have chocolate for breakfast on Christmas day and DH and I have an omelette and bucks fizz.

Rocketbird Thu 04-Nov-10 15:24:44

Quality Street blush

cryhavoc Thu 04-Nov-10 15:27:44

Baileys, usually...

FreudianSlimmery Thu 04-Nov-10 15:39:15

We don't really have a tradition for that yet but we always have something a little more indulgent ie something we wouldn't spend money on normally.

So could be smoked salmon, duck or quail eggs, exotic fruit, posh croissants and spreads etc.

Although that rule isn't really
confined to breakfast, we tend to have the traditional meal with family on the 24/26th so on Xmas day we just think Hmmmm what do we really fancy to eat that we normally don't treat ourselves to?

fruitful Thu 04-Nov-10 15:58:11

Crunchy nut cornflakes grin

TheFallenMadonna Thu 04-Nov-10 15:59:37

Pannettone, bucks fizz/clementine juice and coffee.

SuePurblybilt Thu 04-Nov-10 16:01:24

Bucks fizz, coffee and croissants. I buy the unbaked ones but I've bought normal ones and frozen them myself before and they've been grand. DD likes part-baked rolls smile.

bytheMoonlight Thu 04-Nov-10 16:32:42

Do you just stick the normal croissants in the oven from frozen or you do need to defrost first?

DomesticGoddessInTraining Thu 04-Nov-10 16:33:26

Pancakes, bacon and maple syrup. DH makes up the pancake batter the night before. We tend to have breakfast after a mad flurry of presents.

pagwatch Thu 04-Nov-10 16:34:33

smoked salmon with bagels or scrambled eggs.

TBH once we have opened the champagne I don't really mind

BudaisintheZONE Thu 04-Nov-10 16:40:31

Well I love anything with smoked salmon but DH doesn't. He likes a traditional bacon and eggs breakfast. No idea what we will do yet! I love bagels, smoked salmon and cream cheese.

Faaamily Thu 04-Nov-10 16:43:26

In the past we've had:

Scrambled eggs and smoked salmon

Poached eggs and Christmas ham leftover from Xmas Eve

Croissants / brioche and jam

...always with lots of bubbly!

girlywhirly Thu 04-Nov-10 16:43:56

This year, brioche slices with Nutella. Or Bonne Maman jam is lovely.

nickelbangBANGbang Thu 04-Nov-10 16:46:10

I bought some frozen croissants from my local farm and you have to defrost them and prove them the night before (basically, get them out the nigth before and put them on a baking tray, wrap that in clingfilm (not tightly) and leave them overnight. in the morning they will look like uncooked croissants )
then you put them in the oven for however long. (i think 10-15 mins, but you'd need to check that)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now