Talk

Advanced search

I've just put a load of mixed fruit to soak in brandy

(35 Posts)
OracleInaCoracle Sat 09-Oct-10 18:39:34

ready to make my cake, mincemeat and pudding tomorrow, Ive spent all day looking at recipes. we are making salt dough decorations tomorrow too. I feel ever so christmassy!

chuckeyegg Sat 09-Oct-10 19:59:42

OOOOhhhhh that sounds lovely if I'm cooking with brandy I can never resist a little glass for me . I will look up salt dough decorations they sound interesting!

SeriousWispaHabit Sat 09-Oct-10 20:37:04

I have just put my Christmas cake fruit in to soak too. Whiskey though not brandy as it's what I happen to have half a bottle of.

Surprise Sat 09-Oct-10 20:40:09

I'm so envy. I love making Christmas cake, but I'm the only one that likes it in this house. The year before last I ate THE ENTIRE CAKE. Yes, a whole Christmas cake over Christmas/New Year. And I wondered why I was so overweight! So no more cake-making for me.

chuckeyegg Sat 09-Oct-10 22:23:49

Suprise - me too none for me either this year.

OracleInaCoracle Sun 10-Oct-10 09:14:47

this is the first year Ive made everything myself, ds is 5 now so this is a really big christmas for him (before he gets bogged down with the "does FC exist?" crap)

lucysmam Sun 10-Oct-10 11:26:34

Surprise, make yourself a tiny one? I've made a 6" round one with one egg for my dad because my sister doesn't like xmas cake so they never get one even though he likes them!

That way you get to have something you enjoy

itsstillgood Sun 10-Oct-10 21:22:36

Or make a really big one!
I do a 10inch square one (2x standard size recipe)and cut it into four 5inch cakes.

I keep 1 which does me and FiL when he visits.
Others go to my Sis, my Dad and family friends.
So covers 3 gifts.

Cakes are perfect size for 2 people (or 1 greedy one like my Dad).

Made mine today too - lovely smell throughout the house.

southeastastra Sun 10-Oct-10 21:25:13

this has to be the most middle class mumsnet thread ever grin

OracleInaCoracle Sun 10-Oct-10 21:25:45

poundland does a small cake tin just big enough for one. I got one to make ds's elderly aunt a cake

OracleInaCoracle Sun 10-Oct-10 21:28:02

SEA grin <sticks out tongue> Im just excited to be actually making my own! dont think ive ever had alcohol in the house that ive kept for cooking before <starts weaving new christmas bunting>

southeastastra Sun 10-Oct-10 22:31:40

:D

lucysmam Mon 11-Oct-10 11:00:56

that's where mine's from too lissie

RememberToPlaywiththeKids Mon 11-Oct-10 13:13:58

which christmas pud recipe would you recommend for a novice pud maker??

lucysmam Mon 11-Oct-10 14:10:01

Everyone's recommended I use Delia so that's the one I'll be trying out smile

OracleInaCoracle Mon 11-Oct-10 16:41:43

Im going to be using delia for both my pud and myu mincemeat, cake is a recipe that mil used and has been handed down through her family.

this shuld be a thread for newbie cake/pud/mincemeat makers grin

i found a saltdough recipe that incorporates cinnamon so the decorations smell nice!!

lucysmam Mon 11-Oct-10 19:03:24

share please lissie?

& mincemeat recipe if you don't mind?

CheeseandGherkins Mon 11-Oct-10 19:06:33

The delia puddings and mincemeat recipes are lovely, even better when left for a while so making them now will be great. I'm going to make mine in half term I think as I'm not well at the moment. Love Christmas

OracleInaCoracle Mon 11-Oct-10 21:03:05

mincemeat

OracleInaCoracle Mon 11-Oct-10 21:16:55

makes 2 large cakes

500g butter
500g flour
125g flaked almongs
2tsp mixed spice
2tsp cinnamon
500g brown sugar
1200g mixed fruit
8 eggs
225g glace cherries

Put fruit to soak in brandy (as much as you like) for roughly a week beforehand, store in a cool, dark place.

cream butter and sugar til fluffy, add the eggs one at a time. Add spice, cinnamon and almonds. mix well.
add the fruit, cherries and flour and mix well again.

pour into a large greaseproof papered tin and bake for 3.5-4 hours on 180. cover the top of the cakes for the final hour to prevent burning. leave to cool in the tins.

prick and pour 1tbsp brandy over every 2w or so. marzipan and ice on christmas eve!

lucysmam Tue 12-Oct-10 10:18:32

ty lissie, will definately be doing the mincemeat with dd's help, of course!

SanctiMoanyArse Tue 12-Oct-10 11:33:35

AAm making our cake with ds4 today, been soaking for a while LOL. We're doing the GHI vanillan vodka one.

Then will get started on the cakes for family etc.

Last eyar I amde puds from a recipe on MN but can't find it any more- used to be an annual thread but I had it copied into word and then our PC had a virus. The delia one has stuff in we won;t eat so undecided where to got erhe so far.

No mincemet, away for Christmas so limited on what we can take.

shirazplease Tue 12-Oct-10 11:57:33

Hi all

Was wondering if any of your pud experts out there, could advise on how I should store my pud (once I've made it) I have the pudding basin, do I need to store it in that? Was hoping to make more than one, so don't particularly want to buy loads of them!

Thanks

Shiraz x

chuckeyegg Tue 12-Oct-10 12:30:49

My mum makes her own xmas puds and she does store them in the basin, I don't think you can take them out but if anyone else knows different I'm sure they will let you know.

x

bythepowerofMN Tue 12-Oct-10 12:35:45

my house was smelling gorgeous this time last week - just reminded me to top up the cake (that nobody really eats but I enjoy the ritual of making)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now