Talk

Advanced search

I had a cryptic pregnancy AMA

(81 Posts)
wellthatwasasurprise Sun 28-Apr-19 23:32:55

Please try and be respectful and I'll try my hardest to answer any and all questions.

Constance1234 Sun 28-Apr-19 23:34:38

When exactly did you realise you were pregnant - did you have time to get your head around it before you gave birth?

Hellbentwellwent Sun 28-Apr-19 23:36:11

well Did you not know until you gave birth? You must’ve been terrified, I hope you weren’t too traumatised and bonded well with your baby. Congratulations!

Mrsbclinton Sun 28-Apr-19 23:38:27

Did you know you were pregnant?

Raggerty54 Sun 28-Apr-19 23:41:29

What’s a cryptic pregnancy?

wellthatwasasurprise Sun 28-Apr-19 23:44:24

@Constance1234 I went to the GP with what I thought was horrible IBS, couldn't figure out what it was. After some back and forth, took a pregnancy test and it came up positive. Went for a scan quite quickly afterwards and it turned out I was about 35 weeks. I went into labour about a day later I think, eventually gave birth about a day after that.

wellthatwasasurprise Sun 28-Apr-19 23:45:37

@Mrsbclinton I get this one a lot. No I did not know I was pregnant.

PippilottaLongstocking Sun 28-Apr-19 23:46:55

In hindsight, were there many signs that you were pregnant?

wellthatwasasurprise Sun 28-Apr-19 23:46:55

@Raggerty54 from Wikipedia:
A cryptic pregnancy or delayed pregnancy is a lack of subjective awareness of pregnancy until the end of gestation in pregnant women.

fudesina Sun 28-Apr-19 23:49:23

Having been so ill through my pregnancies I'm fascinated by this. Did you have a bump? Any morning sickness (looking back)? No kicks - nothing at all?

wellthatwasasurprise Sun 28-Apr-19 23:49:30

@PippilottaLongstocking erm the only thing I could think of was I gained a little bit of weight but not enough to cause me concern.

Mrsbclinton Sun 28-Apr-19 23:50:25

Oh my, I cant imagine what that must have been like. Was it your first pregnancy?
Did you have support?
How did you manage on a practical & emotional level.
Most people have months to prepare you had a day!

wellthatwasasurprise Sun 28-Apr-19 23:50:47

@fudesina I get this a lot too. I got absolutely no morning sickness at all. I had no bump (I went into hospital in my size 12 jeans)

BentBaastard Sun 28-Apr-19 23:55:27

This completely fascinates me.

I will think of a question.

wellthatwasasurprise Sun 28-Apr-19 23:55:48

@Mrsbclinton it was my first pregnancy yes. I had great support actually. My family and friends were great, the midwifes were absolutely brilliant. On a practical level I was panicking. I literally had nothing, getting a pram on such short notice was close to impossible (eventually got one second hand). After I left hospital I had to make a mad dash to Mothercare an hour before it closed to get all the necessity's, Moses basket, baby bath etc etc. Emotionally I don't think I had time to panic as I had to put my babies needs first.

Lucked Sun 28-Apr-19 23:56:13

Interesting. Did you have a family? Were you trying? How did the father take it?

When I gave birth to my first there was a Mum who gave birth that day and hadn’t known. It was her third pregnancy and she had been at the school gates for the school run in the morning and had a new baby by lunchtime. She was older and thought she was peri menopausal she had joked with her husband before he went to work that she had some weird stomach pains like labour pains. She was so embarrassed about telling her kids and going back to the school run with a baby. She was so shocked by the whole thing and I occasionally think about her and her experience.

pearldeodorant Sun 28-Apr-19 23:57:15

Had your periods stopped? Fascinating thread, thanks OP. Hope you and baby are doing well!

wellthatwasasurprise Sun 28-Apr-19 23:59:50

@Lucked I wasn't trying no. The father took it less than brilliantly, lots of accusation I got pregnant on purpose and had hidden it from him. He's not involved (his choice) and hasn't been since baby was born.

Mrsbclinton Mon 29-Apr-19 00:01:40

Thats good you had support network, it must have felt like a sureal experience at the time.

wellthatwasasurprise Mon 29-Apr-19 00:06:10

@pearldeodorant I was on the progesterone only pill at the time so hadn't a period since I started taking that 18 months before I got pregnant.

Redshoeblueshoe Mon 29-Apr-19 00:10:13

Your name is obviously perfect
That is one mega surprise
Good luck to you and your baby flowers

Itwouldtakemuchmorethanthis Mon 29-Apr-19 00:11:35

Did you stay in hospital for a few days or just flip from tummy upset to mother?

TheBulb Mon 29-Apr-19 00:14:18

Something I read recently suggested that some authorities argue that there’s a psychological reason why the woman doesn’t ‘recognise’ her pregnancy, or can’t allow herself to acknowledge it consciously. Do you think that was the case with you?

SarahBeeney Mon 29-Apr-19 00:14:51

So fascinating OP.
There used to be a tv series about this,many of the women already had children so it's not like they didn't know how it felt to be pregnant.

It must be such a shock,and really hard to get your head around.

wellthatwasasurprise Mon 29-Apr-19 00:16:05

@Itwouldtakemuchmorethanthis I went from GP to hospital for a scan then to the fathers house for a day, then back into hospital when I was about 4cm dilated. I stayed in hospital for five days after I gave birth as I they wanted to monitor me (understandably so) I had high blood pressure which they wanted to keep an eye on. I was also struggling to breastfeed so having that extra support whilst staying on the ward was very helpful.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: