Talk

Advanced search

I'm a Teacher in a Pupil Referral Unit. Ama

(111 Posts)
teachandsleep Sun 28-Apr-19 17:43:30

Ask me anything. Work with Secondary age children

LittleBlackDot Sun 28-Apr-19 17:46:02

What are three of the most useful strategies you’ve found for reengaging children?

SweetestSugar Sun 28-Apr-19 17:47:31

What percentage of time is it really all about the parents? Do you ever feel that you can do so much 9-3 but then when the students go home your hard work is undone?

teachandsleep Sun 28-Apr-19 17:48:10

A sense of humour, directing the work towards them personally. Relationship building as they hate to then let you down. Doesn't win with them all though!

teachandsleep Sun 28-Apr-19 17:52:23

Sweetestsugar 90% of the time it's down to parenting sadly or trauma or abuse.

MyDcAreMarvel Sun 28-Apr-19 17:56:36

Really, so only 10% disabilities like ASD or ADHD either diagnosed or on pathways. Lumped in with the very small minority of simply poor behaviour with no root cause.
I find that very hard to belive.

MyDcAreMarvel Sun 28-Apr-19 17:56:52

*believe

Mumble29 Sun 28-Apr-19 17:57:20

I've applied for a job as a TA in a similar school for children from primary to secondary school age, what can I expect and how do I best approach dealing with behaviour ect

teachandsleep Sun 28-Apr-19 18:02:49

MyDCareMarvel** we don't have ASD children in our Provision it's not the right set up. In regards to ADHD it does exist but is frequently misdiagnosed.

LittleBlackDot Sun 28-Apr-19 18:03:09

@MyDcAreMarvel who said children with ASD/ADHD are immune from having parental difficulties or experience trauma? The two things aren’t mutually exclusive.

teachandsleep Sun 28-Apr-19 18:04:50

Mumble29 the good thing about it is thT everyday is different you never get bored. You know you make a difference. Some days are bad though and it takes its toll. You have to have a thick skin and think on your feet.

Robotindisguise Sun 28-Apr-19 18:05:07

How do you take the decision that a child with ADHD has been misdiagnosed? What evidence do you have that is the case?

WordsFailMeAgain Sun 28-Apr-19 18:05:32

I work in a PRU too but it’s for kids who have been diagnosed with a medical condition, so ASD, mental or physical health etc so not behavioural... however we do get the majority of kids sent from other PRUs who have tried to sort out their behavior and obviously failed because they have unrecognised medical needs..

Tinkoschminko Sun 28-Apr-19 18:06:04

Where abouts?

savageswimmer Sun 28-Apr-19 18:07:48

I also work in a pupil referral unit and I can't say that I've ever seen a child who is just 'naughty' with no root cause. There is usually always something there in their past that has contributed.

Branleuse Sun 28-Apr-19 18:08:22

kids with asd and adhd often have parents with these conditions who are undiagnosed dont forget, even if theyre undiagnosed. Before you slag off parents of difficult children.

What do you think is up with children then who have been clinically assessed and diagnosed with ADHD by professionals?

MyDcAreMarvel Sun 28-Apr-19 18:11:19

@savageswimmer I agree was just adding them to the 10% as a rare one off.
LittleBlackDress I didn’t say there could not be both.
Op I can almost guarantee there will be dc with undiagnosed ASD in your unit.

Tinkoschminko Sun 28-Apr-19 18:15:24

Where do you draw the line? Plenty of the kids I used to teach had no official diagnosis but a lot of their parenting impacts also meant they were born addicted to drugs etc, which, nameless or not is still clearly a biological or medical condition.

grasspigeons Sun 28-Apr-19 18:17:32

Are there more boys at the unit? and if so do the girls 'fit in' ok with it.

BollocksIsTheWord Sun 28-Apr-19 18:19:28

@savageswimmer agree. We have recently had a 7 yo sent to our unit because the “bad boy” unit he was in couldn’t handle him. He has been diagnosed with autism since but the previous school did him no favours. He’s a sweetheart but has a very complex background, poor love

teachandsleep Sun 28-Apr-19 18:36:28

We do have undiagnosed children and we do submit an EHCP if appropriate. Usually more boys than girls. The girls fit in and don't seem to notice to be honest.
It is very easy to spot misdiagnosed ADHD. Sadly some parents push for a diagnosis as it attracts DLA when really their parenting lacks.

Lemonsquinky Sun 28-Apr-19 18:50:26

How did you get into it? I'm very interested in working in this area, especially with autistic children. I'd prefer junior age as that's what I'm qualified for.

TheFallenMadonna Sun 28-Apr-19 18:59:35

I work in AP and I just applied for the job. I spent nearly 20 years in mainstream previously.

Flyingpie Sun 28-Apr-19 19:03:39

I'm moving from mainstream to a behavioural school very similar to a PRU.
Can you recommend any books to read/blogs to follow etc?
I'll be teaching secondary English.

HalyardHitch Sun 28-Apr-19 19:05:27

I used to do this at Primary age. I found it was mostly "attachment issues".

Have you had any injuries? I had a five year old crack my rib once with a well aimed kick

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »