Half-term activities for February 2014
No sooner have we recovered from the Christmas holidays than February half-term and the planning it entails is upon us.
Fortunately, our Local editors have done the hard work so you don't have to; rounding up the best activities in their areas come rain or shine.
Collage and Decoupage at the National Memorial Arboretum Burton-on-Trent
Use collage and decoupage techniques with a variety of fabrics and papers, helped by visiting artists, to create designs on mini canvasses to take home.
Stargazing at Birmingham Rep Birmingham
It is Florence in 1633 and the great scientist and astronomer Galileo is about to arrive and give a demonstration of his discoveries, when the terrible news comes that he has been arrested as a heretic. Stargazing provides an interactive experience that explains Galileo's theories of planetary motion to prove to the judge that his theories are not heresy but fact.
- Birmingham Sutton Coldfield half-term activities
- Leicestershire half-term activities
- Nottingham half-term activities
- Shropshire half-term activities
- Staffordshire half-term activities
An interpreter will play two roles, representing a member of RAF Bomber Command and a USAAF airman, showing the former around the iconic American B-17 Flying Fortress. Find out why this aircraft is so fascinating.
Games Jam at Haverhill Arts Centre Haverhill
Haverhill's first ever two-day Games Jam event includes the chance to watch simple computer games being made, play games with over-sized pixels in the Retro Gaming Arcade and enter one or two players into the Games Tournament. As well as play-offs on the big screen at the end of both days there will be game-related prizes up for grabs.
- Cambridge half-term activities
- Cambridgeshire half-term activities
- Chelmsford half-term activities
- Colchester and Harwich half-term activities
- Essex half-term activities
- Norfolk half-term activities
- Suffolk half-term activities
Children's Roman Soldiers Week Northumberland
Are you willing to join the Imperial Army this half-term? This event at Chester's Roman Fort on Hadrian's Wall gives children the opportunity to train as Roman soldiers with hands-on activities.
Space is Ace at Eureka Halifax
Join the crew of Space Station Eureka and explore the wonders of the universe this half term. Step aboard their Space Station and find out what it's like to live and work in space. Listen to the stories of their adventures across the galaxies and help them investigate the science behind what gets a rocket into space. If after all this you've still got energy to spare then join the crew for astronaut aerobics to help you get into physical shape for an interstellar adventure.
Projekts Indoor Skatepark Manchester
Projekts MCR provides beginner coaching sessions for all sorts of groups and organisations. There is a regular beginner coaching session at the Pump Cage on Sunday mornings from 10am to 12pm, and they also offer private coaching either on location or at their facility in Manchester city centre.
- Cumbria half-term activities
- Leeds half-term activities
- Manchester and Trafford half-term activities
- Stockport and Tameside half-term activities
- Wigan and Salford half-term activities
- Worcestershire half-term activities
Rumplestiltskin at Borough Theatre Abergavenny
Ruby, a poor miller's daughter, is forced to spin straw into gold when her drunken father boasts she can. Help comes from an unexpected source in the shape of an evil and crafty gnome – but at a high price. Find out what happens next in this traditional half-term family pantomime.
- Pembrokeshire half-term activities
- Blaenau Gwent and Torfaen half-term activities
- Monmouthshire and Newport half-term activities
Spy Hunt at Penshurt Place Tonbridge
Transform into a First World War spy and hunt down the missing objects of Penshurst in the gardens and adventure playground with this fun children's trail.
Join in at Staunton Country Park to celebrate Feed the Birds week. Take part in bird-themed activities, make feeders and get tips on how to look after our feathered friends.
- Bedfordshire half-term activities
- Buckinghamshire half-term activities
- Hertfordshire half-term activities
- Kent half-term activities
- Milton Keynes half-term activities
- Portsmouth half-term activities
- Surrey half-term activities
- West Sussex half-term activities
Show what you're made of with swashbuckling fun as you chart the course on the trail of gold coins where X marks the spot, and don't miss the chance to meet Long John Tredinnick and his loyal band of parrots.
Celebrate the end of February half-term with a day of activities for all the family at the Half Moon Theatre in E1. There will be drama, art and puppet-making workshops; an art trail for the latest exhibition in the gallery; face-painting, and the opportunity to hear authors read from their books.
Discover's new interactive family exhibition, Secret Agents (ages six plus), will be open every day over the February half-term. Don your best disguise and test yourself in their secret agents training camp – do you have what it takes to save the crown jewels from the evil Dr Iscove? Younger agents aged three and over can report to Story Builders for a week of treasure hunts and adventures by some of your favourite picture-book authors and illustrators.
Step back in time in the newly conserved Chocolate Kitchen where Thomas Tosier made hot chocolate for George I and George II. Explore these fascinating spaces and watch historic cooks make hot chocolate for the King. There will be chocolate-themed activities all week, from decorating your own Georgian chocolate cup with porcelain paints to storytelling and object handling and even making your own drinking chocolate.
Victorian Kitchens at Gunnersbury Park Museum Gunnersbury
Discover what life was like for a Victorian domestic servant. Venture 'below stairs' and explore the original Victorian kitchens at Gunnersbury Park Museum – formerly the country home of the illustrious Rothschild family. Dress as maids and footmen, and help the Victorian maid with her work – beating the carpets, scrubbing the floors and using the pestle and mortars.
Imagine Children's Festival Southwark
This year's Imagine Children's Festival is all about the kids taking over. Enjoy free activities throughout the festival or just take in the atmosphere as children run the show. Featuring dressing-up days, Topsy-turvy Day, Call of the Wild Day and The Great Enormo Theme Park Day.
- Camden half-term activities
- Greenwich half-term activities
- Hackney half-term activities
- Haringey half-term activities
- Hounslow half-term activities
- Islington half-term activities
- Kingston half-term activities
- Lewisham half-term activities
- Merton half-term activities
- Richmond half-term activities
- Southwark half-term activities
- Tower Hamlets half-term activities
- Westminster and City half-term activities
Last updated: 2 months ago