Christmas markets and independent food shops: shop local for tasty treats
Christmas is a busy time for us all and it's tempting to go with convenience when it comes to stocking up on our festive food.
But we thought we'd make it a little easier for you to support local businesses this year by picking our top 10, then rounding up hundreds of Christmas markets and independent stores near you on our Local sites...
Locally produced foods adorn the Christmas Market at the South Bank Centre, from Brixton Botanicals marmalade to British cheeses, mince pies and mulled wine. Our mouths are watering just thinking about it.
Sugar Mouse, Lutterworth Leicestershire
If you're looking for a charming independent sweet shop, Sugar Mouse won't disappoint. There are over 250 jars each containing a different type of sweet, from classic to extraordinary.
Chococo, Swanage Bournemouth & Poole
Husband and wife team Andy and Claire make their chocolates using fresh cream that's locally sourced and includes no additives or preservatives. This could make a wonderful Christmas gift or fifth course for a festive feast, and if you're not local then you can take advantage of their mail order service.
For a proper English breakfast, source your tea from England's only tea plantation. Tregothnan's Christmas hampers also make a lovely gift.
If you're partial to a good Cheddar, revamp your cheese board with some of the 11 flavours available at the Blaenafon Cheddar Company. Matured at the bottom of a local well, the Cheddars are flavoured with local ingredients such as Penderyn Welsh Whisky.
For high-quality local meat Rossiters are the butchers to head to. Everything is sourced from organic and free-range farms in the surrounding counties. Locals queue around the block to collect their Christmas orders from Rossiters.
Using fresh and local ingredients where possible, the bread at The Friendly Loaf Co is renowned in Suffolk. If you want your bread for Christmas morning to be DIY, you could also attend one of their baking classes. And, reputedly, owner Mark's chocolate brownies are devilishly good.
The Cornish Food Box Company, Truro Cornwall
Only stocking Cornish, The Cornish Food Box Company works with more than 85 local businesses to bring together the best of Cornish cuisine all under one roof. You can get Christmas dinner with all the trimmings delivered to your door ready to cook. And if you're not local, don't despair: their food boxes are now delivered to London as well as throughout Cornwall.
Appleby's Cheese, Whitchurch Shropshire
Delicious, award-winning Cheshire cheese has been lovingly made by the Appleby family for 60 years. Also available online.
A Taste of Honey, West Didsbury Manchester
Serving locally sourced, delicious food and with a constantly evolving range of products, A Taste of Honey deli is a little local treasure in West Didsbury that is foodie heaven: you can even request them to source something if they don't have it already.
Other independent food stores and markets near you...
- Camden Food Shops
- Croydon Food Shops
- Greenwich Food Shops and Christmas Markets
- Hackney Food Shops
- Hammersmith & Fulham Food Shops
- Haringey Food Shops
- Hillingdon Food Shops
- Hounslow Food Shops
- Islington Food Shops and Christmas Markets
- Kingston Upon Thames Food Shops and Christmas Markets
- Merton Food Shops
- Newham Christmas Markets
- Richmond Upon Thames Food Shops and Christmas Markets
- Southwark Christmas Markets
- Tower Hamlets Food Shops and Christmas Markets
- Wandsworth Food Shops and Christmas Markets
- Westminster and City Food Shops and Christmas Markets
- Bath Food Shops
- Bedfordshire Food Shops
- Birmingham & Sutton Coldfield Food Shops
- Blackpool Food Shops
- Bournemouth & Poole Food Shops
- Bristol Food Shops
- Buckinghamshire Food Shops
- Cambridge Christmas Markets
- Cornwall and the Isles of Scilly Food Shops and Christmas Markets
- Cumbria Food Shops
- Devon Food Shops and Christmas Markets
- Devon - Exeter Food Shops
- East Riding of Yorkshire Food Shops
- Essex Food Shops
- Essex - Chelmsford Food Shops
- Essex - Colchester & Harwich Food Shops
- Greater Manchester - Manchester and Trafford Food Shops and Christmas Markets
- Greater Manchester - Wigan and Salford Food Shops
- Hertfordshire Food Shops
- Kent Food Shops and Christmas Markets
- Leeds Food Shops and Christmas Markets
- Leicestershire Food Shops
- Milton Keynes Food Shops
- Newcastle & Gateshead Food Shops and Christmas Markets
- Portsmouth Christmas Markets
- Reading Christmas Market
- Sheffield Food Shops
- Shropshire Food Shops and Christmas Markets
- Southampton Food Shops
- Staffordshire Food Shops
- Suffolk Food Shops
- Surrey Food Shops and Christmas Markets
- West Sussex Food Shops
- Worcestershire Food Shops
- Belfast Food Shops
- Dundee & Angus Food Shops
Got your own recommendations? Log in to add more suggestions and review existing food shops and markets on your Local site.
Last updated: 2 months ago