Mumsnet - Parenting tips
mumsnet : tips : send a tip
- always have bicarb of soda in the house - it gets rid of smells you thought would linger forever!
- Got hard/laminate floors and a toddler? Get your toddler to lie down on a blanket and drag them round the house for 5 minutes. It's a hoot!
- To help young children get their pumps on the right feet for PE, draw half a smiley face at the bottom of each pump on the inside. They can then put the two together to make a whole face and the pumps will be in the right places for putting on.
- Having a problem getting them out of the bath? Turn it into a game; You have to get out before all the water goes down the plug hole works for us.
- When my children are having difficulty with sharing I use my kitchen timer (a chicken!) and tell them that when the chicken 'rings' they must hand over to the other. They both find this amusing and it seems to work.
- If you need to get things done in the kitchen, sit your toddler on the draining board, feet in the sink and have the tap running slowly. Toss in a few plastic cups and my son will play quietly for ages. Just make sure you're close by in case they stand up and put a towel down to catch spills.
- If you're moving house, keep a pack of felt tip pens or crayons handy. My two have been busy for ages colouring on the boxes and the huge sheets of packing paper. They've hardly noticed their toys disappearing around them.
- To stop pram wheels squeaking-spray them with furniure polish. It saves big drips of oil in your house!
This works on the top of swings too.
- To remove a sticking plaster painlessly, rub a piece of cotton wool saturated in baby oil over the surface first.