Mumsnet - Parenting tips
mumsnet : tips : send a tip
- Having a problem getting them out of the bath? Turn it into a game; You have to get out before all the water goes down the plug hole works for us.
- When my children are having difficulty with sharing I use my kitchen timer (a chicken!) and tell them that when the chicken 'rings' they must hand over to the other. They both find this amusing and it seems to work.
- If you need to get things done in the kitchen, sit your toddler on the draining board, feet in the sink and have the tap running slowly. Toss in a few plastic cups and my son will play quietly for ages. Just make sure you're close by in case they stand up and put a towel down to catch spills.
- If you're moving house, keep a pack of felt tip pens or crayons handy. My two have been busy for ages colouring on the boxes and the huge sheets of packing paper. They've hardly noticed their toys disappearing around them.
- To stop pram wheels squeaking-spray them with furniure polish. It saves big drips of oil in your house!
This works on the top of swings too.
- To remove a sticking plaster painlessly, rub a piece of cotton wool saturated in baby oil over the surface first.
- If your stuck what to buy for, ask what the birthday boy/girl's favourite colour is and give them something in that colour. That way they're bound to like it, even if you have a tiny budget.
- Finding it hard to fit exercise into your day with small children? Do a fitness dvd and get them to join in. When they get bored with that, get them to give you marks out of 10 for how well you're doing it.
- Take fifteen minutes to do something for yourself each day.