- Mumsnet Reviews
- More Information
"Incredibly good value…"
Nothing to fault except minor quibbles.
- hotel is very well furnished, beds are comfortable, plentiful big white towels, hot water always plentiful. Rooms are big. We stayed in a suite with our two children which meant we weren't all sleeping in the same room which was great.
- staff very warm and friendly, nothing too much trouble. All very young but very competent and well trained. A few of the childcare staff seemed a bit disengaged but they were in a minority. On our first day, for example, I thought the beds had been set up wrong and the hotel manager came up and changed them within 15 mins.
- baby listening service was fantastic, involved staff sitting outside our room all evening while we were at dinner. Only 2 different people over the week so children got to know them, which helped
- ski school good, our 5 year old became a competent and confident skier on this holiday while our three year old still has a way to go but enjoyed being part of the whole process with the spritelets club. One very nice touch is that the ski classes, which are led by an esf instructor, are also accompanied by an esprit staff member so the children have an extra pair of helping hands
- resort is very good for beginners and intermediates, acres of blues and manageable reds. Advanced skiers in our group needed to go off piste for a full challenge as there are only a handful of blacks. But plenty of off piste if you want it. Longish transfer from chambery, though - our booking said 75 mins but it was over 2 hours.
- food in hotel very good except for breakfast which is a bit chaotic with not a lot of choice. But fine. Children's food much better than other chalet hotels by just having one main choice which changes each day, and then having extra bread, cheese, ham and vegetables for those who don't like the main dish. Or you can always ask for pasta with tomato sauce.
- hotel is basically ski in and out off the arpette piste, very convenient.
Overall very good value, great experience.Read moreLess
"Brilliant hotel, lovely staff, good location…"
We have just returned from this hotel - the jewel in the Esprit Ski crown and had an amazing time. The hotel is located on a path which drops onto a run which leads down to 4 or so lifts so easy access to the pistes! The staff were all lovely - young but so polite and caring. Brilliant childcare staff who just whisked the kids away and kept them going with songs and jokes.
Bar area is good and restaurant was fine - good portions and choices each day. You did have to get down to breakfast before 7.30 to get a table with no wait.
Rooms are very comfortable and modern - flat screen tvs and loads of space.
Pool and spa area was also very luxurious and well used by us!
I am ready to book again here - and we have been to a few Esprit places - this is deffo the best we have been to.Read moreLess
3 people found this review helpful.
"This was our first family skiing holiday and we all…"
This was our first family skiing holiday and we all had a great time. We are thinking of booking for next year!
I understand the pros and cons of the "hotel" versus "chalet" size-wise. The big pro for us was the pool which we swam in every morning (I am pregnant so only skiied the odd afternoon). We did meet some lovely people who we asked to be sat with at dinner. My DH then had some more exciting ski company than I could provide!
Childcare wise it was fine and the service was as described. However my DS1 (nearly 4) did not like snow club and may have enjoyed more "private nanny" type care which you get in smaller chalets. He did love the skiing and the lessons though. The nursery for DS2 (very nearly 2) was great and he had his day time nap in a cot in a seperate room rather than a mat in the corner (which I have seen in some child care situations). The baby listening was very good and it was reassuring to have 2 nanies on each floor.
The rooms were lovely. We had a "standard" room for the 4 of us. We put DS2's cot in the bathroom (there was a seperate loo, hooray!) every night and we all slept very well. A kettle would have been a welcome bonus though. Only other request would have been for larger towels.
Food wise - my kids were fine and ate really well. I was pleased there wasn't a fish finger in sight! Lunch and tea were hectic with so many children but at least they were getting freshly cooked meals incl veg and fruit. Adult dinners were great, no complaints.Read moreLess
1 person found this review helpful.
"Fantastic. Can't wait to return.…"
Fantastic. Can't wait to return.Read moreLess
"I have to say out of all the Esprit holidays…"
I have to say out of all the Esprit holidays I've had I probably enjoyed this one the least. It's the only Esprit place I would never go back to. Maybe it's just not my thing, I think I've definitely decided I prefer smaller chalets.
The good things;
Snow Rangers were fab. DD loved Coco Club. DD was the only child in her ski group so had private tuition all week! There is free Wifi. The rooms are very nice, fantastic view, bigger than any other room I've stayed in. Flat screen TV, DVD player.
The not so good things;
I found the hotel too big and too impersonal. Nobody talks to anyone and I missed that part of getting to know other people. We were sat with the same two people for dinner every night. Luckily they were really nice and we got on, if we hadn't then it would have been crap.
There is no decent seating area. There is a bar and sofa area in the hotel lobby. But it really is like sitting in a hotel lobby and you wouldn't wonder down there with a book and chill out like in other chalets I've been to.
The pool was too cold, other parents ignored the no chldren in the hot tubs rule and the indoor hot tub were full of screaming, jumping kids. The kids then must have weeed in the hot tub as a few days later it was shut for maintanence.
The hotel isn't secure. French people sneak in the door near the outside hot tub and use the saunas and hot tubs.
The service is terribly slow. They can't start everyone's meals at the same time, so one night will call in tables 1-14 first, then 30 minutes later the next tables. Swap over the following night. It can be after 9:00pm by the time you get starters. And it can then be a long wait for main course.
Kids menus were a bit odd. Maybe its my fault that DD isn't a great eater but other parents said the same. Fish mornay? We had tears over the meal most nights. I'm on holiday and can't be doing with it.
Our room was on the first floor and right over the kitchen. Kitchen staff had a loud stereo on full blast while they cleaned up till 11:00pm every night. This kept us awake. We had to ring up reception every night about it.
Coffee isRead moreLess
1 person found this review helpful.