"Brilliant and captivating…"
We are a household of Lego lovers. We bought my son this box for his birthday and he absolutely loves it, its kept him busier than any other toy ever has. I love that it encourages his imagination and creative thinking.Read moreLess
"Buy it - it will be used for years…"
Embarrassingly we have lots of the toys that are popular on the reviews here, but this one has been going for years, and is still used by all three children, even though the oldest, at six, is also into "proper" lego.
It is very versatile, and allows them to use imagination in a way the larger lego sets somehow don't quite encourage. From building and more frequently destroying towers, to cakes to garages and ships, if it is out it gets used.
You can buy extra sets to mix and match, but it's fine without.
What I also like about this pack is it is in a portable sized box, so you can chuck a load of Duplo in if you are visiting childless friends and relatives, and put it in the boot.Read moreLess
"hours and hours of creative fun…"
When my sister asked whether to get duplo or lego for my ds (turning 3)for his birthday, I said duplo please, knowing that we were expecting (ds2)and did not want tonnes of tiny pieces of lego scattered around for him to eat.
Best present ever! I was a little worried that ds1 might outgrow it too soon, but , while he does now have a couple of lego kits, the duplo is still absolutely great. We started with the pictured large duplo box and have since added on the larger duplo box.
Slight warning, both the 'large' and the 'larger' duplo can both fit comfortably within the larger box, so don't be disappointed when you find that the box as sold is almost half empty.Read moreLess
"Hours of fun.…"
We are an avid Duplo household, it will keep my 3 year old twins amused for hours on a rainy day.
The duplo train set is fantastic, there are lots of add ons, so there are plenty of ideas for Christmas and Birthday ideas if your stuck.
The only criticism with buying additional features is that some of the trains go faster than the others, which means you can't put them on the same track as they crash, other than that they are brilliant fun.
We have tried the cheaper "fake duplo" and they don't stick together that well because some of the fittings are mismatched, in our experience it's worth spending that bit extra on the real thing.Read moreLess
"Lego is a dealer - Duplo is the first free sample.…"
Don't get me wrong, I'm a huge Lego fan, but I'm no fool - Duplo is the set of happy, simple bricks that Lego uses to get your kid (and your wallet) hooked on their product line.
First, the many positives.
1. There is no learning curve. Once you get that "1 brick + 1 brick = something", you can make literally anything. Legos are great for kids of all ages and abilities, so my 16 and 8 year old nieces can play side by side with my 3 year old son (and 60 year old mum) without issue. I cannot think of many other toys where that age range is utilized.
2. The pieces all work together. No matter what kit or box you buy, from whatever country, they all work. My family is mostly overseas, and they sent over the cutest Lego board book with pieces, which work seamlessly with the ones here. Brilliant.
3. NO BLOODY BATTERIES. I don't need to expound on this, you all know what Christmas morning is like. Take out of the box, play.
4. Indestructible. My mum still uses my old Legos when she's playing with the kids - that speaks volumes to its durability.
Now, for the negatives.
1. While I adore the 'mixed bag' sets of Legos/Duplos, I really dislike the kit sets. Not only are they really expensive (The Duplo playhouse is 55 quid - 55 quid!), but they are limiting. Half the fun is dumping a huge pile of bricks on to the floor and making something out of it. But the kits mean following specific directions, and worrying that you got it wrong, and then having...the thing that looks like the outside of the box. Hm. Then dissembling it to do all over again later. How...fun.
2. I used to see this just with Legos, but now I'm seeing it with Duplos as well: All the 'Girls/Princess' kits are pink. Not only that, they are all about homesteading - baking, taking care of animals, and based on the plethora of The Little Mermaid kits, waiting for a boat ride with a prince. My son loves to bake, and play with houses, and animals, yet the specific wording (Girls/Princesses) tells him he's not 'supposed' to play with these? RUBBISH. For goodness sake, the 'girls' collection features a kit consisting of a penguin and a polar bear. Unless the animals are gossiping about the latest sex scene from 'Girls' while being vajazzled, THIS DOES NOT NEED TO BE IN THE 'GIRLS' SECTION. (Please note, I don't think all females discuss campy HBO dramas while having their nether regions bejeweled, but I think you get my hyperbole).
The TL;DR of this review? Strong, easy for most to play with, and great when you buy loose blocks (of ANY color) and just have fun with them.Read moreLess
2 people found this review helpful.
"Good but cheaper in Europe!…"
Duplo is a solid favorite but I have found it to be cheaper buying from a European amazon well worth a bit of extra hassle price examples here! <a href="http://www.huge-river.com/search/duplo">www.huge-river.com</a>Read moreLess
"My 3 yrs old had hours of fun with collection…"
My 3 yrs old had hours of fun with collection of duplo bricks. I would recommend it for any toddler - worth every penny!Read moreLess
"Best toy ever - you can literally build anything with…"
Best toy ever - you can literally build anything with duplo and a little imagination.Read moreLess
"Brilliant - the bricks have given us hours of play…"
Brilliant - the bricks have given us hours of play - building towers of the same colour, same height and some just really tall. Educational too without pushing.Read moreLess
"Lasts forever, hugely versatile, any add-on sets and items are…"
Lasts forever, hugely versatile, any add-on sets and items are great, hugely popular. Can't praise it enough.Read moreLess
"This is from age 1.5, but my son received it…"
This is from age 1.5, but my son received it at 2 years old and loves playing with it. We make a house, a school with chairs and a desk, a giant bed for his stuffed Makka Pakka, a large robot, a playground with a slide&wibbly-wobbly bridge&swing, a train station (to go with his wooden train set) with a ticket window to various destinations...Lego is just fantastic because you use your imagination to create and build - a wonderfully educational toy and highly recommended! This is a great starter as it comes with a door, window, posable figure, and wheeled vehicle(train/car), and having the box makes it easy to clean up and keep things neat.Read moreLess
"Any kind of duplo is fabulous. It's easy for little…"
Any kind of duplo is fabulous. It's easy for little hands to make models and nice and chunky to play with. It is very durable. We have my 15 year old sons Duplo for our little ones and it is as good as new. It will last and last.Read moreLess
"Best toy ever for DS so far. He's been given…"
Best toy ever for DS so far. He's been given a few collections since just before he turned one and he plays with it day in day out still at 2.5 yrs. You can make anything so whatever is his current favourite thing, that's what we make. At the moment it's swimming pool, trains and tunnels & motorbikes! It's also one toy we can have out when his friends are over that they can all play with together with no sharing issues and no fights!Read moreLess
"Very good for stimulating/hand eye coordination. Easy to tidy and…"
Very good for stimulating/hand eye coordination. Easy to tidy and still being played with daily
DH loves playing with it too!Read moreLess
""An old staple that is always popular. You can pack…"
"An old staple that is always popular. You can pack bits of it in your bags when you go away and it will keep my boys occupied happily for quite a while." "Something new to build every day - hours of fun." "Highly recommended and easy for grandparents and friends to add to the collection." " Excellent basic construction set. If you possibly can buy a 'base board', this makes it much easier to build." "Duplo is an obvious choice but you can't deny it's tremendous value for over twos".Read moreLess
"Duplo is fantastic. My little boy has been playing wiht…"
Duplo is fantastic. My little boy has been playing wiht his Duplo for over a year now and we intend to buy more for Christmas. I would say that the small bucket isn't big enough if you want to build house, planes, robots etc as my son does. Great value for money, indestructable.Read moreLess