"perfect for me…"
My baby would not latch at all so I had to express milk from day 1. No pumps really worked for me until the milk started to come in about day 3 but since then I have no problems with the Philips pump. I have tried a few double pumps at the hospital (inc. medela mini) but I prefer the Philips. The double pumps make me feel so awkward that I get a slower flow, and I feel I need the flexibility of the manual to electric feature of the Philips. I use it manually for the let down and the first minute of pumping to get the vacuum and speed exactly right, then press the button and let it take over. You have to lean forwards slightly but I find it fairly comfortable lying down at the edge of the bed with the bottle resting on the bed frame, or sitting leaning slightly forward. Note I do not use the cushion thing as I found it difficult to get it centred on my nipple but the basic plastic is fine for comfort.
The major advantages of this pump:
- Small, portable, quick to assemble and clean
- The system of the electric pump copying your manual rhythm makes it extremely flexible and personal
- can express straight into the avent bottles
- good price (second hand on ebay)
The only disadvantages I can think of:
- slightly squeaky when on maximum vacuum
- sometimes gives less vacuum when switching to electric, but you just switch back to manual and try again and the second time it always works correctly
- I have only used the battery pack once so far and it didn't last for one whole pumping, but I assume this was my batteries and just haven't bothered trying again yet as I don't need it to be portable at the moment
- it is top heavy and will fall over if you don't take the 'head' off before putting it down. I haven't found this a problem
an excellent pump and given that the manual to electric mechanism seems to be unique to Phillips, the only pump I would want.Read moreLess
I spent ages comparing breast pump reviews before buying this because it was on offer. I have been really pleased with it. It's easy to put together and keep clean and does an effective Jon.Read moreLess
"This pump is a life saver! I use it daily…"
This pump is a life saver! I use it daily for an average of 6 hours a day as my baby has expressed breastmilk all the time. It does make a bit of a noise but my daughter seems to like it and dozes off. I have been using it for 14weeks and have had no problems. You have to be careful it doesn't topple over as the milk can go into the electrical part and ruin it. The silicone part at the top can let a bit of milk in, however, as long as you're careful you won't have any problems. I had the manual one before which was good but hard work if exclusively expressing, I have used the main part with the electrical one too and it gives me some time to sterilise the other one. The manual one can be found cheaply in the sale so I recomend buying one to adapt on the electrical part as it can be timeconsuming to wash, sterilise and have the same one ready all the time. Battery pack very useful for travelling too.Read moreLess
1 person found this review helpful.
"I had to express three times a day for three…"
I had to express three times a day for three months due to tongue tie in my baby. This pump is great - compact, discreet and has a memory function which replicates your preferred stroke. The 'petals' on the cup make it really comfortable too and visibility is good, so you can see if your position is resulting in the maximum number of jets. I had no drips or leaking as with a the hand pump I tried. This is a great pump for women with medium sized breasts (C-D cup).Read moreLess