Winter swim tips
Swimming is the perfect answer to winter exercise. If it's too cold or dark to exercise outside, why not head to one of the hundreds of heated indoor swimming pools around the country for a winter swimming splash.
If you're looking for some inspiration to take the plunge this winter, here are our top five reasons to hit the pool:
- Swimming increases blood circulation which can help the body keep itself warm during the cold winter months
- Research shows people tend to eat more during winter and crave more sugary and carbohydrate-based foods. Swimming for 30 minutes is worth 45 minutes of the same activity on land, as the water resistance makes your body work harder – helping you to burn off that winter stodge!
- Swimming releases endorphins which can help combat those winter blues by giving you a sense of happiness and well-being
- You use more energy exercising in winter, which equates to burning more kilojoules; and as you're burning more energy, it means you’ll be sure to get a better night sleep!
- Swimming is for everyone, no matter what your age, weight or level of fitness. Swimming is low impact and can support up to 90% of your body’s weight – so it's a great way to exercise for all ages, levels and times of the year!
Last updated: over 1 year ago