Lose a few pounds without losing your mind - Mumsnetters' weight loss tips
1. "While you are trying to lose weight, don't think about it all the time. Fill your life with other things."
2. "Get all four wisdom teeth out at the same time."
3. "Become a fidget (a non-annoying one). Pace at bus stops. Walk around when you take phone calls."
4. "Have a cooked breakfast (grilled of course). I lost over 4 stone that way as, once I had eaten it, I wasn't hungry all day so was able to just graze on fruit, veg, nuts etc until the evening, when I would have a light meal."
5. "Change habits, so exercise is part of your day (walking places rather than driving or getting the bus/using stairs not lifts etc.) rather than having to be something you 'go out to do' later in the evening."
6. "Only stand next to a) people much fatter than you b) Chelsea tractors c) large buildings, so you look thin by comparison."
7. "Cutting out the things you know you can sustain. My morning latte is gone, and I have swapped toast for rice cakes in the morning."
8. "Brush your teeth in the early evening. That's your way of saying no more snacks."
9. "Be in it for the long haul. Set realistic goals and allow yourself time to reach them. No one drops 10st overnight."
10. "Eat according to your hunger and not a timetable. If you're not hungry in the morning, don't have breakfast. If you're not hungry in the evening don't have dinner."
11. "For a quick fix: go to a festival. Eat noodles that have probably been reheated for the 20th time that day. Be glued to the lav for 3 days solid. Hey presto: 8 pounds down."
12. "A really good fitting bra that gets the girls back up where they were at eighteen, or close, can take about ten pounds off the image."
13. "Don't use scales. It's not the weight, it's the inches!"
14. "See through the advertising hype. Bear in mind that sugar is fat free, and lard is sugar free, and read the label."
15. "Don't let a bad meal become a bad day or a bad day become a bad week. You can fall off the wagon but need to get straight back on."
16. "Write down everything you eat. Lots of studies have shown that this really helps weight loss."
17. "Watch what you drink. It's easy to forget how many calories are in a latte/a coke/a tea with sugar or cordial/fruit juice. Drink fizzy water if plain water is too boring."
18. "Don't think that just because you're exercising, you can eat what you like and still lose weight. You can't."
19. "Heartbreak works. Not recommended though."
20. "Add an extra portion of veg to every main meal and reduce the carb/meat portions a little. Just as filling, but healthier and slightly lower calories."
21. "Only eat foods that are WTC ("worth the calories"). If, for example, my family and I are out for a walk and we stop in a pub for a meal, the chips have to be really fantastic (triple-cooked is a good sign) for me to give them a second glance."
Disclaimer: All the advice here is provided for general information only, and should not be treated as a substitute for the medical advice of your own doctor or any other health care professional.. Always consult your GP if you are in any way concerned about your health.
Last updated: over 1 year ago