Welsh recipes for St David's Day
Whether you're hoping to recreate the recipes of your own childhood, or are just looking to cook something Welsh for St David's Day on 1 March, we have some great recipe ideas.
Start with traditional Welsh cakes and then move on to Bara Brith, as we have more Welsh-inspired recipes than you can shake a leek at (sorry).
Mumsnet Welsh recipes
- Welsh cakes: you don't need a traditional Welsh bakestone to make these (although it helps) - a cast-iron griddle or pan will do just as well.
- Bara Brith: addictive fruit cake you can make in advance of the day itself. It will get better with age.
- Welsh Rarebit: Enhanced cheese on toast - you can also add a splash of beer to this basic recipe.
- Lamb and leek hotpot: Firm favourite for Mumsnet suppers - tastes even better reheated the following day.
- Slow cooker leek and potato soup: this is a lovely warming recipe you could have waiting for you when you come home on St David's Day. Leave out the bacon bits to make it a veggie treat.