225g self-raising flour
225g caster sugar
85g caster sugar, (for the icing)
2 lemons, zested and juiced
25g unsalted butter, softened
- Preheat the oven to 180C/160C fan/Gas Mark 4. Beat together the butter and sugar until pale and creamy, then add the eggs, one at a time, slowly mixing through.
- Sift in the flour, then add zest of one lemon and mix until well combined. Line a loaf tin (8 x 21cm) with greaseproof paper, then spoon in the mixture and level the top with a spoon.
- Bake for 45-50 minutes until a thin skewer inserted into the centre of the cake comes out clean.
- While the cake is cooling in its tin, mix together the lemon juice and sugar to make the drizzle. Prick the warm cake all over with a skewer or fork, then pour over the drizzle - the juice will sink in and the sugar will form a lovely, crisp topping.
- Leave in the tin until completely cool, then remove and serve. Will keep in an airtight container for 3-4 days, or freeze for up to 1 month.
Be sure and use a loaf tin. An attempt to use a circular tin of similar dimensions failed miserably and ruined the texture of the cake.
Kids can help