85 g unrefined caster sugar, plus extra for dusting
140 g butter, room temperature
115 g plain, or milk cooking chocolate
225 g plain flour, sifted
- Preheat the oven to 150C/Gas Mark 2.
- In a large bowl beat butter until creamy. Add the sifted flour and combine thoroughly.
- Roll out mixture on a wooden board dusted with a little caster sugar. If you have one, use a serrated cutter and cut pastry into ovals about 2-inches long or use round pastry cutters for circular shapes.
- Transfer biscuits to a lightly greased baking tray and score tops with a sharp knife to imitate veins. Bake in a preheated oven for 30 minutes and allow to cool on a wire rack.
- Melt chocolate in a bowl over a pan of gently simmering water. Dip half of each shortbread leaf /circle into melted chocolate, then place on greaseproof paper until chocolate has set.
If working by hand, beat mixture with a wooden spoon.
Biscuit and sweets
Kids can help