Serves: 10(3 Votes)
8oz self-raising flour
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
4oz caster sugar
7fl oz milk
4 tbsp golden syrup
2 tsp ground ginger
- Heat oven to 150C/Gas Mark 2.
- Melt butter and syrup gently.
- Beat the egg into the milk.
- Sieve dry ingredients and pour in the butter/syrup mix. Beat in the egg and milk.
- Bake for 1 hour in square tin lined with greaseproof paper.
- Keeps very well in foil - gets moister and stickier.
Cover with foil if browning too much as it is quite easy to overcook so check after 50 mins and keep oven at 150.
Kids can help