Serves: 6(1 Vote)
1 chicken (around 3-4lbs)
3 slices bacon (thick cut smoky)
1 trimmed celery heart chopped
1 bunch fresh parsley chopped
2 cloves garlic peeled and chopped
2 onions peeled and chopped
4oz green lentils dry weight
1 tin cannellini beans rinsed and drained
- Preheat oven to about 170-180C/ Gas Mark 4.
- Heat a large, heavy casserole dish on the hob and add a little olive oil.
- Rub salt and pepper into the skin of your chicken and fry it in the casserole dish on all sides until it has taken on a little colour all over.
- Remove the chicken to a plate and add the bacon and vegetables to the remaining oil. Stir and fry over a low heat until they start to take on a little colour. Remove the pot from the hob.
- Add the green lentils, half the parsley and enough hot water to just cover. Season with plenty of pepper.
- Place the browned chicken on top of everything, put on the casserole lid and bake for about 1 hour 30 minutes.
- When the time is up, carefully remove the chicken to a warm dish, tipping it up & allowing any juices from the cavity to drain into the broth. Cover with foil and reserve.
- Heat the casserole contents on the hob and add the drained cannellini beans. Check the seasoning.
- Serve in a wide soup dish. A ladle of the broth with some of the chicken meat sliced or shredded up on top and extra parsley.
A few steamed leeks go really well.