1 large onion
475ml full fat milk
1 clove garlic
1 tbsp margarine
1 large floret of broccoli
1 6-8 button mushrooms , (chopped)
1 tbsp plain flour
170g mature cheddar cheese, (grated)
- Steam or boil the broccoli until tender and put to one side.
- Dice the onion and fry in a little oil.
- Add the chopped mushrooms and garlic and continue to fry until mushrooms are cooked and onions are translucent.
- In a saucepan melt the butter.
- Add the flour and mix gently over the heat - careful not to burn.
- Add the milk and gently whisk to remove lumps over the heat.
- Stir constantly over the heat until boiling then turn heat down continuing to stir. When thick, add cheese.
- More flour can be added to increase the thickness, just keep stirring it though!! Add black pepper to taste.
- Add the fried mushrooms, garlic and onion to cheese sauce and mix for a minute or so.
- Pour sauce over the broccoli and sprinkle with a little more cheese. Heat under the grill until golden, then eat!
It's nice with tuna pasta bake