200g self-raising flour
125g butter, or margarine
125g caster sugar
1 tsp baking powder
500g bananas, mashed (ripe or brown)
- Heat the oven to 180C/gas mark 4.
- Lightly grease an 18cm/7in square cake tin.
- Cream the butter and caster sugar together until pale and fluffy.
- Gradually beat the eggs into the mixture.
- Sift in the flour and baking powder, then add the bananas.
- Mix all ingredients together and spoon into the tin. Cook for 30 minutes or until firm.
- To make the topping, sieve some icing sugar onto the cake, or make a glaze with 250g of icing sugar mixed with 3tbsp water. Or, make a cream cheese mixture of 200g of cream cheese mixed with 60g of icing sugar.
Do your bananas often go brown before they are all eaten? Next time you find your bananas going past their best, why not use them to make this delicious banana cake?
Biscuit and sweets
Kids can help