240 ml milk
80 g cheddar, grated
1 tbsp flour
4 slices bread
1 tsp wholegrain mustard
- Peel and finely grate the courgette.
- Sauté it gently in some butter for a few minutes and then add a dollop of wholegrain mustard and stir.
- Add a large spoonful of flour and stir hard.
- Pour in a mug of milk (a small amount at a time) and stir as you are doing so (like a white sauce) until all the milk is added and then add a handful of grated cheddar and stir over gentle heat until cheese is melted and sauce is thick.
- Meanwhile, lightly toast four slices of bread and heat the grill.
- Spoon sauce over bread in a thick layer and grill until brown and bubbling.
Any leftover sauce can go in a pot in the fridge for a few days and be spread straight onto toast and grilled.