Serves: 2(2 Votes)
2 tbsp butter
1 tsp vanilla extract, (not completely necessary but is lovely if you have it, avoid vanilla essence if possible as it tastes chemically)
2 tbsp sugar, (icing sugar works well)
4 tbsp cream cheese
8 strawberries, washed and sliced
8 pieces of dark chocolate , chopped
4 slices crusty bread, (thickly sliced, or use brioche)
- Very gently cut a slit in the sides of the bread slices to make a pocket.
- Place a spoon of cream cheese in each one (or as much as you can without breaking through).
- Push in as much of the chocolate as you can and a few of the strawberry slices. N.B. Little hands can help you do the stuffing of the bread if they are very gentle.
- Press the edges of the bread together to seal it.
- Beat together the eggs, milk, sugar and vanilla in a wide bowl.
- Dip each piece of bread into the egg mixture making sure each side is coated. Rest them on a plate.
- Heat the butter in a large non-stick pan over a medium heat and gently cook the stuffed bread on both sides until it is golden brown and heated thoroughly.
- Serve sprinkled with icing sugar and the rest of the sliced strawberries.
You could use jam if you can't get/don't have/are ethically opposed to strawberries at this time of year.
Kids can help