1 salt and pepper
2 onion peeled and thinly sliced
1 olive oil
1 boneless leg of pork
1 OXO cube or Bisto
- Take the pork out of the fridge about an hour in advance.
- Season the meat with a little salt, a little pepper and some olive oil. Make sure to avoid the rind.
- Score the rind and season very well with salt, making sure to work it into the scored areas.
- Pat down the rind with kitchen paper several times over the next hour to get it as dry as possible. Add more salt over this time if necessary.
- Preheat the oven to 220C
- When you're ready to cook, get a non-stick deep edge (1-3 inches) baking tin ready. Lay the onion slices across the bottom of the tin. Put the pork on top, skin facing up.
- Cook for half an hour at 220C, and the rest at 170C, 70 minutes per kg.
- When done, take out the pork and remove the crackling. Cover the pork meat in foil and leave it to rest.
- Pour the juices and the onions into a glass container and leave for a few minutes.
- If the cracking needs more finishing, flatten it out as much as possible, add more salt and finish it under the grill. Watch closely to make sure it doesn't burn.
- Prepare some basic gravy, whatever is your favourite. Take the juices/onions and remove any fat that's settled on the top if needed. Add to the gravy to finish it.
- Then serve it all together.