300g cream cheese
80g cheese, grated
2-3 fish fillets of your choice
80g Parmesan, grated
250ml lactose free milk, (or double cream, thinned with water)
1 bag baby spinach
- Fry the mushrooms in butter and put into an ovenproof dish.
- Put the fish in the pan and surround with the milk/thinned cream.
- Poach for 5 minutes or until cooked on a relatively low heat.
- Flake the fish into the dish, keep the liquid in the pan.
- On a low heat, add the cream cheese and stir it in until you get a thick sauce, scraping all the fishy bits in as you go.
- Take it off the heat and a small handful of cheese (you probably don't need to do this if you don't want a pronounced cheese flavour) and let it melt in.
- Wilt the spinach in a pan or in the microwave if not using frozen.
- Put the spinach into the dish. Mix everything up.
- Cover with the by now thick and creamy cheese sauce.
- Sprinkle with the Parmesan and put under a hot grill for a few minutes until it starts to brown and bubble.
To make this like the restaurant version, which uses piped mashed potatoes, I boiled up some swede, mashed it over a low heat to evaporate excess moisture, then added some double cream and used a stick blender to whizz it all together smoothly. I then made a ring of it on the plate and ladled the fishy mixture into the middle of it to serve.