1 onion, chopped
1 tsp olive oil
1 tin chopped tomato
1 clove garlic, chopped
1 tsp herbs, (eg oregano, basil)
1 bowl vegetables, (store cupboard stuff eg frozen peas, carrots, mushrooms)
250g quick cook polenta
- Heat the oil and add the onion and garlic to the pan to soften.
- Put the kettle on.
- Add the tomatoes and herbs to the pan and let them heat up while you prepare the vegetables. (Obviously frozen stuff needs no prep at all. If using carrot, try grating it as it cooks very quickly, and chop mushrooms up nice and small).
- Let it all bubble for about 5 minutes.
- Once the sauce is bubbling away, pour boiling water into a separate pan in the correct proportion for the amount of polenta you want, it will say on the packet.
- Add the polenta but beware, it bubbles like mad. Keep stirring. After 1 minute, it's cooked!
- Combine the sauce and polenta and off you go.
If you cook a double quantity of polenta, you can let the rest cool for adding to a sauce the next day or you can grill it with a topping to make a bruschetta.
Leftover sauce freezes well.