175g butter softened
1 icing sugar
175g caster sugar
1 tbsp milk
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp almond extract
200g glace cherries
75g ground almonds
225g plain flour
- Preheat the oven to 160C/Gas Mark 3.
- Grease the sides on an 8 inch square tin and line the bottom with some grease proof paper.
- Wash the syrup off the cherries and cut in half. Pat dry on some kitchen paper and put aside.
- Cream the butter and sugar together until light, pale and fluffy.
- Gradually beat in the whisked egg a little at a time.
- Sift the flour and baking powder together and fold into the mixture using a metal spoon.
- Mix in the cherries and the ground almonds. Add the almond essence and the milk.
- Spoon the cake mixture into the prepared tin and level off the top with the back of a spoon.
- Bake the cake in the centre of the oven for 1 hour.
- Cool the cake in the tin for 10 minutes, then turn it out onto a wire rack.
- Slice off the domed top of the cake and turn the cake over.
- Slice into fingers. About 24 small ones or fewer, larger ones.
- Mix some icing sugar, water, and a few drops of almond extract. Drizzle over the slices.
This also tastes lovely with custard. You could cut a few big slices and serve for pudding with custard and slice the remaining in to fingers and save for packed lunches the next day.
Kids can help