400 g caster sugar
4 tsp baking powder
1 pinches salt
8 tbsp golden syrup
500 g unsalted butter, diced
4 tsp ground ginger
Some ready to use icing
900 g plain flour
- Sift the flour, baking powder, ginger and salt into a mixing bowl.
- Add in the butter and sugar and rub in until the butter is absorbed and the mixture has a sandy texture.
- Mix in the syrup and enough of the beaten egg to make a fairly stiff, smooth dough. Shape the dough into a ball and wrap in cling film. Place the dough in the fridge to firm up for at least 45 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 180C/Gas Mark 4.
- Roll out the dough to 3mm thickness. Cut out biscuits into gingerbread person shapes.
- Place the gingerbread biscuits on greased, non-stick baking sheets.
- Bake the biscuits for 10-12 minutes until golden brown.
- Remove the biscuits from the oven and allow to cool on the baking sheets.
- Decorate the biscuits with icing with skeleton shapes. Store in an airtight container.
Biscuit and sweets