2 tsp vanilla extract
225g unsalted butter
75g ground almonds
225g 90% chocolate
8 tbsp Splenda, or 100g of sugar if you don't like using sugar substitute
3 eggs, beaten
75g flaxseed mix, I use the Linwoods flaxseed, almond and brazil nuts mix
50g toasted nuts, walnuts, brazils or hazelnuts work well
- Line a brownie tin with greaseproof paper or use a foil tin.
- Heat oven to about 170°C.
- Melt the chocolate and butter in a medium-sized heavy-based saucepan.
- Allow to cool slightly, then add the eggs, vanilla, and Splenda and stir.
- Add the ground almonds, flaxseed and nuts. Give a good mix.
- Pour into a brownie tin, and cook for about 25-30 minutes.
- Allow to cool completely, then cut into small squares. I get 28 squares out of my 18cm by 27cm tin.
- Best served straight from the fridge, and with some double cream poured over!
I have described these as lowish carb brownies because I've worked out that each brownie has about 1.8g carbs, depending on the size of brownie and type of nuts you use. The recipe is based on Nigella's flourless brownies. Her recipe states 150g ground almonds, and 100g chopped walnuts. I tend to do 75g ground almonds, 75g flaxseed mix, (which not only lowers the carb count, but also adds a bit of texture and
These are best after they have been kept in the fridge.
If you use a medium sized saucepan, you can add all the dry ingredients to the melted chocolate and butter mix in the pan, and reduce washing up. Brownies and minimal washing up - what's not to like?