75 g self-raising flour
125 g caster sugar, plus 1 tbsp
75 g ground almonds
175 g butter, softened
3 pears, (firm, but not too hard), peeled, cored and quartered
- Preheat the oven to 170C/Gas Mark 3.
- Grease a 20cm loose-bottomed cake tin.
- Melt 25g of the butter in a saucepan over a medium heat. When it's sizzling, add 1 tbsp caster sugar and stir until it dissolves.
- Add the pear quarters and let them cook in the caramel-like mixture for 5-10 minutes until they are soft and brown. Put aside to cool a little.
- Cream the remaining butter with the sugar in a bowl. Beat in the two eggs, one at a time.
- Stir in the almonds and then the flour.
- Tip the mixture into the cake tin. Then arrange the pieces of pear on top (don't forget to pour in any caramel bits, too).
- Bake for about 45 minutes, until a skewer pushed into the centre comes out clean.
- Cool on a wire rack. Serve warm or cold.