1 pinch salt and pepper, (to taste)
1 red onion, finely chopped
250g ready-made puff pastry
1 handful fresh breadcrumbs
6 sausages, skinned
1 egg, beaten
- Fry red onion slowly until soft and only very slightly browned. Leave to cool.
- Take sausages out of skins (or use equivalent in sausagemeat) and add sausage meat to a bowl
- Mix in cooked red onions and seasoning.
- Take sheet of ready rolled pastry and chop vertically down the middle of the pastry strip.
- Roll sausage mix into 2 long rolls, these should be the same length as the pastry strips and just a little bit thinner.
- Put the first roll of sausage mix on top of and to the right hand side of the the first pastry strip. There should be a slight (2cm) overlay of pastry to the right, and enough pastry to the left to be able to fold it over the top of the sausage meat and join up with the pastry overlay.
- Before you fold the pastry, brush egg mix along the overlay to the right hand side and in a line down the left hand side of the pastry.
- Fold the pastry over so both edges join and press down all along the edge.
- Using a sharp knife, chop the pastry/sausage mix into approx 3cm strips. This should make around 12 sausage rolls. Score each roll twice with the knife (this helps the pastry cook and steam to escape) and brush each roll with beaten egg
- Repeat with the second roll of sausage meat and pastry strip.
- Put sausage rolls on baking tray, lined with baking paper and cook for approx 30 minutes at 200C/Gas Mark 6.
I've made similar sausage rolls with veggie sausages or sausage mix. You can also use 'fancy sausages' eg pork and apple or cumberland.
Kids can help