225g self-raising flour
1 pinch salt
40g butter, or margarine
- Sieve flour and salt together.
- Rub in the butter or marg.
- Mix in the sugar.
- Make a well in the mixture, add the milk all at once and mix with a round-ended knife until a dough is formed.
- Turn out onto floured board and knead lightly until smooth.
- Roll out into a rough circle 0.75 inch thick.
- Use cutters to cut to desired size.
- Put scones into oven preheated to 220C/200C fan.
- Bake for approximately 10 minutes, until the scones risen.
- You can use plain flour with 1/2 tsp of baking powder.
- Add 1oz of dried fruit or cherries when you add the sugar if you want fruit scones.
- Serve hot with butter for very quick treat, or cold with whipped cream and jam for afternoon tea.