85g dark chocolate, broken into pieces
4 tbsp golden syrup
130g glace cherries, halved
215g porridge oats
100g hazelnuts, chopped
- Preheat oven to 190C and line a tin that's about 20cm x 10cm with non-stick paper. You can also use one of those silicone trays and not bother lining.
- Put the butter and syrup into a large saucepan and melt on a low heat until everything looks like caramel and smooth. Don't let it boil!
- Then add everything bar the chocolate and give it a really good stir until it's all combined nicely.
- Take off the heat and add the chocolate. Give a quick stir. It will start to melt. Transfer the whole sticky lot into your tray, smooth over and pop into the oven at the top for about 20 minutes. It's ready when it's starting to brown at the edges so do check it.
- Leave to cool in the tin and then slice when almost cold.
It only occurred to me whilst eating the second slice that this is a little reminiscent of Nutella. Now I don't buy the stuff or really have an opinion of it but when flapjack reminds me of it, somehow that's a good thing. The cherries can be omitted and substituted for any dried/candied fruit really.
Biscuit and sweets